Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heh guys i just want y’all opinion i have a 2018 mustang ecoboost Premium package i have the money to build a 500whp ecobeast but im also thinking about trading in for a 5.0 ? What y’all thinks is best?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do whatever interests you the most. In my case, I could have just as easily bought a V8, but had little interest. I've been interested in the 2.3 from the time they introduced it. I love starting from stock and (slowly) building it up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love my eco to input alot of money fbo big turbo now i want to build the engine buy dont know how long a build engine last to

·
Registered
253 Posts
Any engine including a built one can last a lifetime as long as proper respect is given to the horsepower gods and their infinitesimal rules of fuel/air/spark and displacement, lol.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
142 Posts
I'm always looking for what's next. Been browsing for a '12 thru '14 GT. They seem to be holding onto their values quite well. Full exhaust from headers back along with a CAI would be the only mods.
The current pandemic has me erring on the side of caution, holding onto my greenbacks.

Reactions: G-PaTX and gatornek

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Keep in mind that you are going to take a bath on the trade, lucky if you get $15k. If you financed most of it you are likely upside down on the loan too.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes thats another thing i still own 23 on the car lol i try one dealer and they offer me 17,0000 thats crazy for a 2018 31,000 miles premium with digital cluster

·
Registered
101 Posts
that's the way it works at a dealer. you get a wholesale offer. they will give you retail on your trade but you will pay retail for the car you buy, keeping you up side down. you're going to need all the money you saved for 500whp to put with your car to get right side up. my advice would be to take that money and pay it towards the principle of your loan and keep paying for the car you have plus knocking down the principle by paying extra every month and wait until you can afford the other car.

i don't what mods your car has but they are probably hurting the trade value.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dealerships have a nickname of stealership for a reason. They will always give you less than it’s worth. If you want to sell your eco, go private sale everytime, the difference is thousands of $$’s. I looked into selling my eco and getting into a gt too, wasn’t worth it. My advice would be to take all the cash you have and pay the car off first, then do whatever mods you want after it’s paid off. Don’t pay a bank just to lend you money you might already have.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
If you want to sell your eco, go private sale everytime, the difference is thousands of $$’s.
The only problem with that is having to deal with a bunch of people, of varying degrees of purchasing intent, that you then have to humor and allow to test drive your car. Do you have an approach for this? One dude I knew tried to tell me one time, that he asked for a credit score in order for prospective customers to test drive his car; but that seems like you're just gonna turn people off before they even get a chance. Maybe if it was a 50K used car, it'd be a decent idea. I'd like to hear a good plan on this, because its the number one thing that always causes me to just take it to the dealer.

FWIW, I always get a quote at Carmax. They USED to be much better back in the day, but still offer a pretty good quote on your used car. But I agree that you are generally getting 'shorted'.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only problem with that is having to deal with a bunch of people, of varying degrees of purchasing intent, that you then have to humor and allow to test drive your car. Do you have an approach for this? One dude I knew tried to tell me one time, that he asked for a credit score in order for prospective customers to test drive his car; but that seems like you're just gonna turn people off before they even get a chance. Maybe if it was a 50K used car, it'd be a decent idea. I'd like to hear a good plan on this, because its the number one thing that always causes me to just take it to the dealer.

FWIW, I always get a quote at Carmax. They USED to be much better back in the day, but still offer a pretty good quote on your used car. But I agree that you are generally getting 'shorted'.
that’s a good point, I had mine up for sale and just got hammered with scammers and people trying to get me to buy a VIN check from random websites, it was annoying to say the least, but I did have multiple offers of serious buyers for 21-21.5k. (‘16 premium 16k miles). You could tell them sorry no test drives or only let very serious buyers test drive it. I think the risk is worth it if the buyer is serious because youcan get so much more than a dealer. I was being offered 15-17k for mine from dealerships, and carmax actually offered me 13k. I was appalled. So basically I was in two different situations, carmax for 13k or private sale for 21k, 8k difference! I ended up keeping it btw after I realized I was being dumb. Now I fell in love with it again and no longer watch GT exhaust set up videos anymore lmao

·
Registered
73 Posts
Heh guys i just want y’all opinion i have a 2018 mustang ecoboost Premium package i have the money to build a 500whp ecobeast but im also thinking about trading in for a 5.0 ? What y’all thinks is best?
I would say it depends on your intentions. If you enjoy the power more than the tinkering, just be done with it and get the GT; all the work is done for you, and you have a powerful, reliable engine that will provide years of worry-free service. If, however, you are the type that just can't keep your hands out of the mechanical cookie jar, then sticking with the EcoBoost might be right for you. The EcoBoost is a complicated package, creating a vast playground of bolt-ons and modifications that can keep you occupied for years.

Then there is the question of exactly how much power you want. With twice the displacement, the V8 has a great deal more potential when it comes to maximum power. So if you're looking for the baddest-ass tire-shredding machine on the street, you want the V8.

Since you mentioned it, you also have to consider reliability. Yes, you can get 500 whp from an EcoBoost, but the available evidence suggests your engine is not going to last long at that power output. These are durable engines, but without significant upgrades to the internals I don't believe more than 400 hp (at the crank) is a reasonable expectation. As a reference, only one manufacturer in the world offers a production 4 cyl engine making more than 400 hp. I know it's an unpopular opinion around these parts, but getting 400 hp from a 4 cyl engine while maintaining reliability (and driveability) is not an easy engineering feat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Financially speaking, I don't think it makes sense to mod an Eco past full bolt ons and a tune, versus buying a GT. Past that you need to spend money on a 2.0 short block, to keep it reliable, and that gets expensive. Plus, after spending all that money on mods, you'd likely never get your money back out of it, if you wanted to sell it, or if it got totalled.
I've sold many cars via a private sale, and regarding test drives, the question I always ask is "If you drive it and like it are you going to buy it? OK, show me the money." Also, the car never leaves my sight, until I'm paid.

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
31 Posts
With my Eco the way it is. It has plenty of power to get into trouble. Plus getting it to go sideways is easy even with the traction control on. I like the Eco because of the balance they have for carving canyon roads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts