Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 19 Ecoboost is completely stock at the moment, I had it for almost a year now but i am planning to finally do something to do it.

I am most likely going to get the MBRP Race exhaust this month and not sure what else to do. I really do not want to sacrifice fuel economy though as i bought the ecoboost for a daily driver.

Any recommendations on mods that dont decrease fuel economy? ( I guess its ok if its a small drop)

·
Registered
52 Posts
In this case a drop in mileage probably would have more to do with your driving habits than the mods you have.

From what I have read it appears that the best bang for the buck performance mods are a tune and a replacement inter-cooler.

I just purchase a 2019 a couple of months ago to be my new daily driver. I usually get about 26mpg with my hey/city mix and my driving style. On longer hwy trips I have gotten 30mpg. I don’t floor it everywhere I go, but I definitely don’t try and hyper mile it either.

My power mods plans are a Ford Tune, new inter-cooler. Past that it will be lowered some, new rims and some appearance things.

Just to show how driving style can effect mileage. I have a ‘94 SHO that is my street legal road course car. Prior to having a trailer I used to drive it to and from track weekends. I would get 27-30mpg on the way there and back. On the track I would get 9mpg. Same car, same mods, just driven differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Weight is the enemy. Look for aftermarket parts that are lighter than the original equipment. You can get lighter wheels, brake rotors, and drive shafts, all of which will decrease total weight of the car and rotating mass, so you'll need less energy to get your car up to speed.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have been driving turbo 4cyl cars continuously since 1985, all of them have been tuned. All of these cars got the same or better mileage with the tune.

Dave

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
One of the worst mods I got for gas mileage was my Borla catback exhaust. Not because it actually physically did anything to reduce mileage, but just because after I got it on, I purposely keep the revs and rpms high just so I can hear it growl. Honest to goodness.....its addicting.:cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after doing some research are these the 4 best things to get? Tune (ill probably get the Ford tune), Down pipe, intercooler and exhaust system ( i plan to get MBRP race soon)

·
Registered
52 Posts
So after doing some research are these the 4 best things to get? Tune (ill probably get the Ford tune), Down pipe, intercooler and exhaust system ( i plan to get MBRP race soon)
The tune and inter cooler are good bang for your buck power mods. After that you just need to ask yourself what you enjoy.

For me I have found that some extra power is always good, but what really adds to a cars fun factor is brakes and suspension.

Of course that is just my personal preference. Yours could be different.

·
Registered
370 Posts
IIRC the ford tune doesn’t cover the upgrades you’ve listed and it does not have the ability to grow with you, a better idea would be to go with Cobb or one of the others, I mentioned Cobb because they have canned tunes to deal with your mod list.

·
Registered
52 Posts
IIRC the ford tune doesn’t cover the upgrades you’ve listed and it does not have the ability to grow with you, a better idea would be to go with Cobb or one of the others, I mentioned Cobb because they have canned tunes to deal with your mod list.
When you say it doesn’t cover it, do you mean warranty wise or customizing the tune to make the most of the added mods?

·
Registered
370 Posts
When you say it doesn’t cover it, do you mean warranty wise or customizing the tune to make the most of the added mods?

Ford tune, unless it’s changed, comes with a high flow airfilter.......and the tune itself is just to make a stock eco have a little more pep. Ford tune does not allow for addition of anymore mods like the down pipe etc.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ford Performance and mountune® Power Packs, Handling Packs and select components for Mustangs, Fiesta, Focus, and F-150
Ford Performance and mountune Performance Packs and Components are warrantied for factory-supplied material or workmanship when correctly and completely installed on a late model Ford vehicle by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc., mountune LLC or an automotive service technician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE). This Performance Packs and Components Limited Warranty begins upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Performance and remains in effect for the balance of 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Click Here for Performance Pack Limited Warranty details.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 19 Ecoboost is completely stock at the moment, I had it for almost a year now but i am planning to finally do something to do it.

I am most likely going to get the MBRP Race exhaust this month and not sure what else to do. I really do not want to sacrifice fuel economy though as i bought the ecoboost for a daily driver.

Any recommendations on mods that dont decrease fuel economy? ( I guess its ok if its a small drop)
Yea man I would start with the intercooler not the exhaust. Its a 4cyl you aren't going to get GT sound and considering the plastic intercooler that comes stock you will notice more gains from swapping that out rather then the exhaust. Most bolt ons won't do much to your gas mileage. I have a after market cold air intake and am adding my intercooler tomorrow. I also have a custom tune I will add once I get the intercooler on, my car is also my daily driver and I still get 30ish mpg on the highway and average around 25 to 27 mpg.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
.......and the tune itself is just to make a stock eco have a little more pep. Ford tune does not allow for addition of anymore mods like the down pipe etc.
The FP tune is equivalent to everyone else's Stage 1 tune. If your intent is to not mod any further than an intercooler, cat back and tune the FP tune is a solid choice even if there was no warranty.

Dave

·
Registered
137 Posts
You don't need a tune to go catless, just the spark plug non foulers to act as O2 sensor extensions, that being said you won't see much gain without being tuned for the downpipe.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You don't need a tune to go catless, just the spark plug non foulers to act as O2 sensor extensions, that being said you won't see much gain without being tuned for the downpipe.
Can’t agree with you on this one tigger. Cat less down pipe allows much more flow, making, less back pressure allows, the combustion chamber to fill with a larger air charge, maybe resulting in lean conditions. I’ve experienced this with my SVO which is also speed density, when going from catted to catless 2.5” downpipe, then again going from a 2.5 to a 3” downpipe and I’m sure it’ll happen again once I get the 4.5 down pipe in. Each switch required me to tune boost maps, timing and fueling all over again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So i have been doing research and i think i am probably going to end up getting the Ford Performance tune to keep my warranty and the MBRP exhaust i just cant decide between the Race or Street though. I called around and seems like it will cost me around $2000 (Canadian) to get the tune and exhaust and have them installed. Only thing is i see people mention you should get 93 octane but where i live i only can find 91 octane. That shouldnt be a problem for the tune correct?

·
Registered
370 Posts
So i have been doing research and i think i am probably going to end up getting the Ford Performance tune to keep my warranty and the MBRP exhaust i just cant decide between the Race or Street though. I called around and seems like it will cost me around $2000 (Canadian) to get the tune and exhaust and have them installed. Only thing is i see people mention you should get 93 octane but where i live i only can find 91 octane. That shouldnt be a problem for the tune correct?
Ford performance states that the package requires 91, so yes you’ll be fine. On a side note you really should consider an upgraded Intercooler, you’ll get a little more power and more consistent performance.
  • Fits 2018-2019 Mustang EcoBoost with manual or automatic transmissions
  • Horsepower and torque gains throughout the powerband
    • 35 HP peak gain at 2,900 RPM
    • 76 Lb.Ft. Torque peak gain at 2,600 RPM
  • Exclusive Ford Performance warranty when dealer installed
  • Ford Performance calibrations are 50 state legal with CARB EO (D-752-2)
  • Automatic calibrations feature optimized performance shift schedule
  • Powertrain calibrations are developed and supported for U.S. and Canadian vehicles
  • Premium (91 octane or higher) fuel only
  • Horsepower and torque gains will not be optimized until fuel octane is learned

1 - 20 of 20 Posts