Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

TorqueNews has published an interesting story discussing what polishes are the best for a 2016 Ford Mustang that current Mustang owners like. What do you like to use? Here is the story, reprinted from TorqueNews with permission.

ar lovers always try to highlight the finishes on their vehicles. Mustang owners debate the best polishes to make a metallic finish shine on a 2016 Ford Mustang.

Any driver loves it when someone admires the finish on their beautiful vehicle. There are dozens of popular waxes and polishes on the market. We wanted to highlight the ones that Ford Mustang owners find outstanding.

The question was raised on a popular Mustang forum. PM owns a 2016 Ford Mustang and asks, “Hello....looking for some advice from all the detailing pros on this forum. I am looking to do a full detail to my 2016 Magnetic Ecoboost and I recall hearing that certain waxes and polishes may be better that others depending on your color. Also, I am looking for something that will really bring out those big metallic flakes in the paint.”

Show car finish

A check of several forums finds that some owners really like a product called P21S Carnauba wax. P21S describes their products on their website. “P21S car care products have been engineered to meet or exceed the demanding standards of the automakers themselves.” They have several types of waxes and promise a show car finish.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts
I have totally switched over to Croftgate products.
Wash N Wax is a very low water wash that you can do without getting the floor wet! Washes and waxes. Use in conjunction with a Nanoskin (AS-010) AutoScrub Medium Grade Wash Mitt to do a clay-bar treatment
Aqua-Nil for a true waterless car wash
Project-X is a shine enhancer (for depth)
Quick N Slick - Polymer polish and Paint restoration (I use this in place of detail spray)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Meguires for me. I am trying the NXT polish seems to be holding up well. I worked my Jeep over (black paint) with the 105, then 205 cutting fluids, then laid in a coat of NXT. The paint was brought back and really pops. I use the spray instant wax between shines to keep it popping. Meguires also makes a excellent plastic and vinyl restorer, that worked wonders on my Jeep interior. I also use the quick mist detailer to get those grubby little finger prints off the shine.

Been using meguires since the early 90's. Works great for me, don't see a reason to change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like the Meguiars products a lot too , used them as far back as 1985 .

Three steps , no shortcuts, take a day with the radio playing :
1. non abrasive cleaner
2. polish
3. wax
Literally, it is like waxing the car three times but the results are unmatched and you only need to do the full 3 step if one properly like once or twice a year.
Last I used Meguiars ultimate series on the ecoboost just after I bought it.

Oh final tip buy the 25 pack autocraft microfiber towels , they are 12 in x 16 inch .
You get the best results removing each product completely by with those, flip, flip again.
Then throw to the side for washing get another clean one , repeat.
I think that I used 15 of them for the entire process.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
My favorite wax and not too expensive...

Reactions: blondie_tuco

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I had a whole response typed up and my computer rebooted... DOH.

< readers digest version>
What I tell folks is the best thing to do if your getting into paint correction is a test spot. There are so many different products and micro abrasive technologies (SMAT, DAT, Adaptive Technology, Hybrid of all three), all work differently, a test spot to dial in your pad and product is the only sure fire bet.

As far as what's the best LSP (Last Step Product)? That's all dependent of choice, and desires. Some folks love going out and waxing their car every few weeks... Some don't and love a low maintenance approach. I prefer to have nano-glass ceramic coatings on my cars, which entails a lot of prep work. Some of my high-end clients also get full correction and coatings. Are they for everyone? No... The 10 year old kid hauler/grocery getter is probably good with what's called an AIO (All In One). Cleaner with Polish and Sealant.

I have an entire cabinet of products, and when I am working, I need to see what is going to yield the results I'm looking for. Typically for full correction with a coating, we'll put 16 to 18 hours into a vehicle. Every detail (no pun) is sweated..

As far as color goes, many will debate that "x" looks better when used with red... What you need is smoothness, defect free paint, which leads to gloss. How you get those first two things is a lot of work and a few test spots! :)

Test Spots!

IMG_0678.JPG

·
Registered
48 Posts
i use some pretty exotic wax's myself, once a year I clay bar with mothers. twice a year I wax with Nu Finish. then use Meguiar's quik detailer spay when needed. Keeps all 3 of my cars looking like new.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
A check of several forums finds that some owners really like a product called P21S Carnauba wax.
I forgot to mention that I have also used P21S, and while not cheap down here in Oz at AUD $70 a small tub... It was the best wax I have ever used in terms of giving the car a glassy shine like no other.
It has that something special that I've never seen in any other wax at any price point.
It is especially good on darker color cars.
The only problem I found with it, is the wax coating does not last very long compared to other waxes like Collinite... In a few weeks and a few car washes, it is all but gone unfortunately.
However, if you wanted a wax finish that looked like a glass mirror with great depth for say a car show, and durability was not a factor... I would use it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
876 Posts
For my Deep Impact Blue Mustang, I use Sonax Perfect Finish to remove light scratches and holograms. I use it with a Rupes dual action polisher with a 15MM stroke. After paint correction, I apply a coat of Jescar (Menzerna) Power Lock+ paint sealant. I then finish the job with a coat of P21S Carnauba wax. The paint really does look like a show car finish. I've actually won a couple of times at car shows. People always compliment me on the depth and clarity of the paint on my car. For quick detailing, I use P & S Bead Maker. It has amazing gloss enhancers and water-beading ability. I use this same combination on my Race Red Focus RS and the results are the same. That red paint really pops in the sun!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use meguiars pro detail products for polishing my car every 6 months. Then a layer of Jesscar Powerlock followed by Collinite 476 about three hours later. Some people use Collinite 845 which is the liquid version. After that it top it off with Meguiars Express wax or P&S beadmaker.

Then for my maintenance wash I clean the car, use a leaf blower to take off as much water and use either Meg's Xpress wax or Beadmaker as a drying aid. I have white car which really comes to life at night and during dawn and dusk. Darker colors are easier to appreciate during the day.

I didn't go into extreme detail, but the most important step is the paint correction process. Once your car is cleaned and polished you achieve an amazing luster which is protected and enhanced by whatever process you decide to use. Without this you will get good results, but never that show car finish.

There is a level of success out there for everyone. Find what works best for you and your situation.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I litrally live in the dessert. Polish it!! are you kidding me?? I gave up washing it about 18 months ago

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have had a mind to try this as a detailer. It does not bead as well as the Meguiar's Quick Detailer, but it does leave a richer, deeper look. I have usually owned white or silver cars, so pardon my obsession, but I am a bit intrigued by how deep I can get the look on the Magnetic. I just read up on the Meguiar's Express Wax and am intrigued by that. LostSAAB is right - find what works best for you! Oh, by the way, I had a 1978 SAAB 99 Turbo. I have literally had dreams about that car over the years.
20191023_052808.jpg

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use meguiars pro detail products for polishing my car every 6 months. Then a layer of Jesscar Powerlock followed by Collinite 476 about three hours later. Some people use Collinite 845 which is the liquid version. After that it top it off with Meguiars Express wax or P&S beadmaker.

Then for my maintenance wash I clean the car, use a leaf blower to take off as much water and use either Meg's Xpress wax or Beadmaker as a drying aid. I have white car which really comes to life at night and during dawn and dusk. Darker colors are easier to appreciate during the day.

I didn't go into extreme detail, but the most important step is the paint correction process. Once your car is cleaned and polished you achieve an amazing luster which is protected and enhanced by whatever process you decide to use. Without this you will get good results, but never that show car finish.

There is a level of success out there for everyone. Find what works best for you and your situation.
How is beadmaker? I've been thinking of using it as a topper.

·
Registered
157 Posts
How is beadmaker? I've been thinking of using it as a topper.
I think Beadmaker is great! I am currently using Meg. Express wax or AutoFanatic 007 as my rinse aid. Beadmaker might just give it a little more pop and slickness. It's just that you have to work it a little more than these other 2. Autofanatic is just as good as the Meguairs in my opinion, but you can buy a gallon of the Megs and save a lot more money. Same for the Beadmaker. Meguairs Detailer products and P&S make great products.

Let us know what you eventually go with.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
My Mustang is a daily driver so no matter how much time i put into cleaning and waxing it is mostly undone in a couple of days so i want fast and easy. For me paint correction, clay barring and multiple step waxing is a waste of my time.

That being said i have been using Meguires NXT Tech Wax 2.0. It is a synthetic sealant that has some mild abrasives to remove road grim and does not discolor the black trim. If beading is a measure of how long it lasts, it is good for spring to fall. It goes on real easy and buffs off even easier. Between washings i use Lucas Speed Wax as my detail spray.

I won't even spend a lot of time on my Barracuda that does not see bad weather. The sublime always looks good and waxing really doesn't make much of a difference, its more about the smooth slick feel of the paint when its clean and waxed. I will give it a good cleaning then polish it with Meguires Ultimate Polish. I then follow up with 3 coats of Mother's CMX ceramic coating and its good till next year.

Dave

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good thread, I think I’ll follow your lead dgc333. I found Lucas LUC10160 oil slick mist speed wax, is that the same ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I try to wash my car once a week if possible. Once I complete my major Fall or Spring cleaning with paint correction, sealant and wax my weekly washes are just maintenance washes that take about 30 minutes. I wish I could move as fast as those guys on youtube. Theoretically it might be able to be done in 15. For the maintenance washes I rinse the car with the power washer, use my foam canon, while that sits I hit the wheels with a wheel cleaner, clean the wheels and then rinse off the car and dry it with a leaf blower and complete that with a towel and my choice of drying aid Meguiars Xpress or 007 or Beadmaker. I then dry the dry the door sills, trunk, under the hood with another rag and my drying aid and then go to the wheels with the same rag. That helps get the brake dust that wasn't removed with the power washer. If something needs more attention then you adjust. This takes me about 30 minutes. As dgc333 is hinting if its a DD and you don't obsess with 2 or more washes a week, your car will get dirty and it just simply won't be perfect. It's not a big deal, " those are the brakes" (no pun intended).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts