Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a turbo blanket for my eco but am not sure what size the turbo is in reference to what most sellers state. I am seeing T2/T3/T4 or GT 25/GT28/GT30 etc. I have seen some state the turbo is a Honeywell/Garrett GT22 turbo but do not see that size used when referencing any blankets for the eco.

I see on fleabay ones stating for T2/T3/T4 etc but when you check fitment chart, they state not compatible with thew 2020 ecoboost.

Anyone bought one of the cheap blankets and can state how well it fits and what size is the best fitting blanket.

Trying to reduce under hood temps as much as possible.

BD

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am looking at getting a turbo blanket for my eco but am not sure what size the turbo is in reference to what most sellers state. I am seeing T2/T3/T4 or GT 25/GT28/GT30 etc. I have seen some state the turbo is a Honeywell/Garrett GT22 turbo but do not see that size used when referencing any blankets for the eco.

I see on fleabay ones stating for T2/T3/T4 etc but when you check fitment chart, they state not compatible with thew 2020 ecoboost.

Anyone bought one of the cheap blankets and can state how well it fits and what size is the best fitting blanket.

Trying to reduce under hood temps as much as possible.

BD
I have a Funk Motorsport blanket that I installed. They designed it for the Ford Mustang. Overall I am pleased with it. Ford Mustang Ecoboost Turbo blanket
The springs they sent with it are a little too long so I used my lock wiring skills to get the blanket tighter onto the turbo housing. The waste gate actuator rod does rub the blanket but it still moves smoothly. You will smell the blanket cooking off for the first couple hundred miles but after that I don't smell anything. This blanket remains flexable so if you have to remove it and reinstall it there shouldn't be a problem.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood Light Vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Light Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Funk Motorsport blanket that I installed. They designed it for the Ford Mustang. Overall I am pleased with it. Ford Mustang Ecoboost Turbo blanket
The springs they sent with it are a little too long so I used my lock wiring skills to get the blanket tighter onto the turbo housing. The waste gate actuator rod does rub the blanket but it still moves smoothly. You will smell the blanket cooking off for the first couple hundred miles but after that I don't smell anything. This blanket remains flexable so if you have to remove it and reinstall it there shouldn't be a problem. View attachment 42814 View attachment 42815 View attachment 42816
How difficult was it to get put in place around the underside of the turbo housing? Is the price in pounds so assume it is from the UK.

BD

·
Registered
47 Posts
How difficult was it to get put in place around the underside of the turbo housing? Is the price in pounds so assume it is from the UK.

BD
You are correct, Funk is in the UK but it didn't take long for delivery. The job is a pain in the butt but not too difficult, I spent 6 hours in the garage with jack stands and I took my time. This is one of those jobs that I wanted to get right the first time. The area between the block and the turbine housing is tight so I had to push the blanket up between from below. Had I known that I would be lock wiring the blanket I would have attached long wires to the back gromets to help pull the blanket up in place. To get the stock heat shield off in one piece the coolant lines to the turbo will have to be unbolted. I have no intention of ever using the heat shield again so I mangled it with tin snips to get it out of the way. There is a Torx head bolt holding the bottom of the shield in place that has to come out, I used a T30 and it worked but it wasn't quite the right size.The actuator arm for the wastegate is one of those little clips that you don't want to lose and the actuator has to be unbolted. The only specail tool I used was my lock wire pliers. Funk has lock wire for sale. My car was new so rusted crusted bolts were not an issue, I did not replace the gasket between the turbine and cylinder head and I believe those nuts get 35ftlb torque.
Would I do it again? Yes. This car is my daily driver and I am having fun modifying and driving it.

Tom

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct, Funk is in the UK but it didn't take long for delivery. The job is a pain in the butt but not too difficult, I spent 6 hours in the garage with jack stands and I took my time. This is one of those jobs that I wanted to get right the first time. The area between the block and the turbine housing is tight so I had to push the blanket up between from below. Had I known that I would be lock wiring the blanket I would have attached long wires to the back gromets to help pull the blanket up in place. To get the stock heat shield off in one piece the coolant lines to the turbo will have to be unbolted. I have no intention of ever using the heat shield again so I mangled it with tin snips to get it out of the way. There is a Torx head bolt holding the bottom of the shield in place that has to come out, I used a T30 and it worked but it wasn't quite the right size.The actuator arm for the wastegate is one of those little clips that you don't want to lose and the actuator has to be unbolted. The only specail tool I used was my lock wire pliers. Funk has lock wire for sale. My car was new so rusted crusted bolts were not an issue, I did not replace the gasket between the turbine and cylinder head and I believe those nuts get 35ftlb torque.
Would I do it again? Yes. This car is my daily driver and I am having fun modifying and driving it.

Tom
Hey Tom
I am the same way in only wanting to do a job once and get it right to start with for sure.

Being a retired auto/cycle technician as a career I have 50 years of tools at my disposal and a good buddy with a lift in his garage which will help make the install easier. Your experience from yours is very good knowledge to have and helps with making the job easier.

So did you have to loosen up the mounting bolts for the turbo the the head to get the blanket in place and just retorque them or are you just stating that it may be easier to do so.

I have torx, wire pliers and most any other special tools I likely will need so should be no issues there.

Do you think the factory heat shield could be reinstalled over the blanket if the lines were removed during the install or is it not likely to be possible to reinstall it at all?

I had thought about using my buddies lift and removing the right motor mount to allow for more/better access to the turbo housing but not sure if it would help much or if at all. Any thoughts about that?

I am looking at blankets and also wrapping the down pipe with header wrap to reduce temps as much as possible under the hood.

I also enjoy tinkering on my toys (old motorcycles) and daily drivers.

BD

·
Registered
3,164 Posts

Tom
I can concur with this exact experience.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey BD,
I just took the two top turbo mounting nuts off to get the heat shield off, I didn't touch the two bottom nuts. I am saying no to the blanket and shield because I don't think there's enough room between the two top studs for the blanket and shield to fit. However I have been known to be wrong before. I attached a photo of that. I didn't have to do anything with the motor mount, I just fed the blanket in and up behind the turbo.
I am with you on wrapping the downpipe. I didn't have mine installed at the time. Based on your job experience this will be easy, just a pain.

Tom
I can concur with this exact experience.
Gatornek, you know what I'm talkin about...,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey BD,
I just took the two top turbo mounting nuts off to get the heat shield off, I didn't touch the two bottom nuts. I am saying no to the blanket and shield because I don't think there's enough room between the two top studs for the blanket and shield to fit. However I have been known to be wrong before. I attached a photo of that. I didn't have to do anything with the motor mount, I just fed the blanket in and up behind the turbo.
I am with you on wrapping the downpipe. I didn't have mine installed at the time. Based on your job experience this will be easy, just a pain.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey BD,

Tom

Tom

That all makes sense for sure and forgot that the top headshield nuts hold the turbo to the head. I agree that there is likely not enough room for the blanket and shield both but will find out once I decided on which blanket, I am going to go with. I haven't really looked closely at the underside of the turbo housing/motor mount yet to see if it will be any benefit to remove the mount, but I like as much room to work as possible.

I would remove the down pipe to wrap it so I can get it wrapped tight and not have to fight leaning under the hood at the same time. I have learned over the years to work smarter not harder and save my old back and hands from wear and tear. Agree it will be easy for me based on experience just a pain due to space and not being as limber as I used to be.:);)

BD

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well got my blanket and heat wrap order yesterday. I cheaped out and went with fleabay items for now. The blanket may not be as high of quality as some but funds are tight right now. The header wrap is pretty much same quality wherever you get it.
Here is what I ordered.

2" 50Ft Titanium Basalt Manifold Header Exhaust Pipe Heat Wrap + 20 Ties Kit | eBay

T25/T28 GT25 GT28 GT30 GT35 Titanium TURBO CHARGER HEAT WRAP SHIELD BLANKET US | eBay

BD
Cool, That price can't be beat, let us know how it fits.

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
guys. We have to be careful when raising the internal temperature of the turbo too much. I already have problems with turbo breakage due to high temperature inside it. Maybe that's why he comes to manufacture with a shield that protects and lets cool at the same time. just an observation.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
guys. We have to be careful when raising the internal temperature of the turbo too much. I already have problems with turbo breakage due to high temperature inside it. Maybe that's why he comes to manufacture with a shield that protects and lets cool at the same time. just an observation.
I have thought about the blanket increasing the temps of the turbo exhaust housing as well, but the turbos in our mustangs are oil/water cooled so not sure if it's a real concern for a daily driver. I can see it being an issue on a heavily used track car since you are at WOT most of the time as compared to a DD car.

You say you have had issues/breakage, exactly what type of failure have you had occur. Is you're car a DD or track car?

BD

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can see issues with it being covered in a blanket in track use vehicles and especially with only oil cooled turbos indeed.
Our ecoboosts have so many electronic nannies I just about bet it will limit turbo output if it sees an over temp condition from too high of EGTs.

BD

·
Registered
Mustang 2015 2.3 ECOBOOST PP PKG
230 Posts
i have a question in reguards to trying to keep the under hood temps down. putting a blanket on the turbo sure should help but what does it do to bearings with the xtra heat held in and eng oil has drained down ? anybody have premature bearing failure yet ? ...... VP

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I cannot answer that question directly, but the turbos in the ecos are both oil cooled and water cooled so under normal daily driving conditions I would think it should not be too much if an issue.

If driving very spirited or tracking the car, then it may be prudent to allow 3-5 minutes of idle cool down before shutting off the engine, but that is just my opinion and not based on any real facts or experiences.

The fact that the oil drains away from gravity after shutting off would indicate that very little is left in the bearing to be heat soaked or become baked in the hot bearings after shutoff.

Again, all just my opinions.

BD

1 - 20 of 55 Posts