Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
i have a question in reguards to trying to keep the under hood temps down. putting a blanket on the turbo sure should help but what does it do to bearings with the xtra heat held in and eng oil has drained down ? anybody have premature bearing failure yet ? ...... VP
A reply I got from an engineer at Univ of Texas, Austin that had written a paper on turbo blankets and underhood temps

Water Font Sky Event Landscape

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am looking at getting a turbo blanket for my eco but am not sure what size the turbo is in reference to what most sellers state. I am seeing T2/T3/T4 or GT 25/GT28/GT30 etc. I have seen some state the turbo is a Honeywell/Garrett GT22 turbo but do not see that size used when referencing any blankets for the eco.

I see on fleabay ones stating for T2/T3/T4 etc but when you check fitment chart, they state not compatible with thew 2020 ecoboost.

Anyone bought one of the cheap blankets and can state how well it fits and what size is the best fitting blanket.

Trying to reduce under hood temps as much as possible.

BD
hello there, i found one on Ebay for under 30 bucks, . not a perfect fit but i managed to make it work just as well. Save the factory shield for none of them that I've seen cover the turbo close to the head, so i cut the shield at half point and bolted it back on. this now cover the entire turbo.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I haven't had the chance to try and put my fleabay blanket on yet, but was looking at the shield and turbo the other day and was thinking about saving as much of the shield as I can to do just that and cover right up to the head. I also thought about cutting the shield right between the coolant lines and putting the lower half in place with the one torx screw and use some aluminum heat tape to patch the cuts seam so it would have both the blanket and the shield over the turbo.

BD

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't had the chance to try and put my fleabay blanket on yet, but was looking at the shield and turbo the other day and was thinking about saving as much of the shield as I can to do just that and cover right up to the head. I also thought about cutting the shield right between the coolant lines and putting the lower half in place with the one torx screw and use some aluminum heat tape to patch the cuts seam so it would have both the blanket and the shield over the turbo.

BD
i just used half the shield just in case i have to remove the turbo again, i just looked at my turbo and the blanket fits in-between the line as is. anyway. you know what they say, the world is your oyster. Lots of luck with that and happy Stanging

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If I do the cut in the middle of the shield and reinstall both halves with aluminum tape, I can still easily remove both to service the turbo if needed. I was just thinking added heat protection by using both blanket and shield together.

BD

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I do the cut in the middle of the shield and reinstall both halves with aluminum tape, I can still easily remove both to service the turbo if needed. I was just thinking added heat protection by using both blanket and shield together.

BD
i think it's an over kill, but at the same time i don't see any harm in it other than just more work, now maybe someone one out there can answer this question for the two of us, for i stayed wondering about it after i installed the blanket and heat shield combo. adding the shield on top of the blanket is pushing the blanket against the turbo, will this hurt the blanket or defeat the purpose?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
i think it's an over kill, but at the same time i don't see any harm in it other than just more work, now maybe someone one out there can answer this question for the two of us, for i stayed wondering about it after i installed the blanket and heat shield combo. adding the shield on top of the blanket is pushing the blanket against the turbo, will this hurt the blanket or defeat the purpose?
I don't think the shield forcing the blanket against the turbo housing will damage it in any way since I have seen tests of using a propane torch being held where the flame is actually contacting the inside material of the blanket and making it glow red hot for a couple minutes and there is no noticeable damage to the material from the flame. It was stated that it was 1800 to 2000 degrees temps from the torch so just contact with glowing housing should not be an issue IMO.

I may be wrong and if anyone has more info to add please do so.

BD

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think the shield forcing the blanket against the turbo housing will damage it in any way since I have seen tests of using a propane torch being held where the flame is actually contacting the inside material of the blanket and making it glow red hot for a couple minutes and there is no noticeable damage to the material from the flame. It was stated that it was 1800 to 2000 degrees temps from the torch so just contact with glowing housing should not be an issue IMO.

I may be wrong and if anyone has more info to add please do so.

BD
thank you for the input, after what you had to say as for the heat test, I'm going with you on this one, I've had my turbo blanket on for about 2 years now so i decided to take a look at it just to see and being that I'm running the VTT turbo, twin scroll, it does get hotter than factory but to look at the blanket it looks new. were good to go man. happy stanging bro

·
Registered
782 Posts
Totally winging this, because I've no experience with turbo blankets. Does the blanket act as insulation? If so, compressing it may make it less effective. Fiberglass insulation in building construction needs to be "fluffed" to fit inside the appropriate spaces. Compressing it, stuffing more in, or using insulation material meant for thicker walls inside thinner walls, can result in less effective performance. Anyhow, that's what I was thinking when I saw mention of "the shield forcing the blanket against the turbo housing."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Totally winging this, because I've no experience with turbo blankets. Does the blanket act as insulation? If so, compressing it may make it less effective. Fiberglass insulation in building construction needs to be "fluffed" to fit inside the appropriate spaces. Compressing it, stuffing more in, or using insulation material meant for thicker walls inside thinner walls, can result in less effective performance. Anyhow, that's what I was thinking when I saw mention of "the shield forcing the blanket against the turbo housing."
thinking about what you had to say here, now leaves me to rethink things. in my case because I'm running a twin scroll leading to more heat than a factory turbo, I'm going to widen the heat shield by cutting it down the center and riveting some the lower half of the shield to close the gap leaving space for the blanket to flex and create an air pocket. the question i guess I'm left with is it really going to make that much of a difference and by how many degrees. I'm going to find out just for the sake of it. I'll get back to you on this, i know that my car on a hot day after running for a while hits 215 head temps on a really hot day in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
The blanket does insulate and hold the turbo heat in so as to increase exhaust velocity from faster expansion of exhaust gasses due to more retained heat/energy from the used exhaust. I don't feel that the blanket being compressed by the shield makes much if any difference at all in terms of less fluff in the blanket.

Think about header wrap tape that is would tightly around the pipes, there is zero fluff and zero air gap at all and yet they insulate the pipes very well and keep under hood heat down while improving exhaust flow in header by retaining the heat in the pipe for better scavenging of exhaust.

Heat is energy and the less heat lost the more energy extracted from the wasted exhaust heat. Thats exactly why a turbo is free horsepower since it utilizes the wasted heat of the exhaust to spin the exhaust impeller at 100,000 plus rpm to create boost.

All eco stangs are twin scroll turbos so unless you have an aftermarket bigger turbo or the HPP version with the slightly larger factory turbo there no differences except turbine diameters.

BD

·
Registered
17 Posts
The blanket does insulate and hold the turbo heat in so as to increase exhaust velocity from faster expansion of exhaust gasses due to more retained heat/energy from the used exhaust. I don't feel that the blanket being compressed by the shield makes much if any difference at all in terms of less fluff in the blanket.

Think about header wrap tape that is would tightly around the pipes, there is zero fluff and zero air gap at all and yet they insulate the pipes very well and keep under hood heat down while improving exhaust flow in header by retaining the heat in the pipe for better scavenging of exhaust.

Heat is energy and the less heat lost the more energy extracted from the wasted exhaust heat. Thats exactly why a turbo is free horsepower since it utilizes the wasted heat of the exhaust to spin the exhaust impeller at 100,000 plus rpm to create boost.

All eco stangs are twin scroll turbos so unless you have an aftermarket bigger turbo or the HPP version with the slightly larger factory turbo there no differences except turbine diameters.

BD
thanks for the update the info sounds good. i decided to leave thing as is. but as for this aftermarket turbo it has a larger turbine with a twin scroll, i have a 2016, when i removed the factory turbo the turbine has a single scroll the aftermarket has a twin scroll. i guess ford must have upgraded the newer model turbos to a twin scroll?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
thanks for the update the info sounds good. i decided to leave thing as is. but as for this aftermarket turbo it has a larger turbine with a twin scroll, i have a 2016, when i removed the factory turbo the turbine has a single scroll the aftermarket has a twin scroll. i guess ford must have upgraded the newer model turbos to a twin scroll?
Not sure on factory not being a twin scroll since from what I have read the 2.3 mustang in 2015 was the first use of a twin scroll turbo by ford that was adopted from the Lincoln MKC. See this article by full race on the 2015 2.3l in mustangs.

In the article it explains that by twin scroll it means that there are two exhaust channels in the head that feed the exhaust impeller instead of just one. Cylinders 1/4 and 2/3 each have their own manifold flow path built into the head much like exhaust manifolds on a non turbo car but still only one impeller. If the bigger one you put on actually has 2 impellers on the exhaust side, then that's new to me as well.

BD

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure on factory not being a twin scroll since from what I have read the 2.3 mustang in 2015 was the first use of a twin scroll turbo by ford that was adopted from the Lincoln MKC. See this article by full race on the 2015 2.3l in mustangs.

In the article it explains that by twin scroll it means that there are two exhaust channels in the head that feed the exhaust impeller instead of just one. Cylinders 1/4 and 2/3 each have their own manifold flow path built into the head much like exhaust manifolds on a non turbo car but still only one impeller. If the bigger one you put on actually has 2 impellers on the exhaust side, then that's new to me as well.

BD

BD
you know what they say , a pictures says a thousand word . like i said . single scroll . have a nice day sir

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
you know what they say , a pictures says a thousand word . like i said . single scroll . have a nice day sir
Feel free to post the pic.

Not sure what you saw or maybe you thought you saw, but the stock turbos have ALWAYS been "twin scroll" on the Ecoboost Mustang.

Font Rectangle Parallel Event Soil

My 2016 stock turbo is most definitely a "twin scroll", which all that means, it has two separate passage ways for exhaust gases, one for cylinders 1&4, and another for cylinder 2&3.

Good day sir.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Feel free to post the pic.

Not sure what you saw or maybe you thought you saw, but the stock turbos have ALWAYS been "twin scroll" on the Ecoboost Mustang.

View attachment 42963

My 2016 stock turbo is most definitely a "twin scroll", which all that means, it has two separate passage ways for exhaust gases, one for cylinders 1&4, and another for cylinder 2&3.

Good day sir.
who said you can't teach an old dog a new trick? i stand corrected, you are absolutely right, my bad, i guess i need to learn more about turbos motors before i get involved in conversations about them, i thank you for helping me to understand the difference, i thought that when a turbo has a twin blade on the cold side that that is what a dual scroll was. Live and learn. thank you sir . happy stanging

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
who said you can't teach an old dog a new trick? i stand corrected, you are absolutely right, my bad, i guess i need to learn more about turbos motors before i get involved in conversations about them, i thank you for helping me to understand the difference, i thought that when a turbo has a twin blade on the cold side that that is what a dual scroll was. Live and learn. thank you sir . happy stanging
Your pic is of the intake turbine wheel and there is an exhaust turbine wheel attached to the same shaft directly behind the one in your pic so the exhaust spins that turbine wheel which in turn causes the intake turbine to wheel to spin compressing the intake charge to give us the 20 + psi boost our cars make under WOT.

The single/dual scroll refers to the number of exhaust flow paths that are used to direct exhaust to spin the exhaust turbine wheel.

BD

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hey, don't feel bad. I'm wrong all the time! Well, not really, but it's possible! 😂

21 - 40 of 55 Posts