Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
who said you can't teach an old dog a new trick? i stand corrected, you are absolutely right, my bad, i guess i need to learn more about turbos motors before i get involved in conversations about them, i thank you for helping me to understand the difference, i thought that when a turbo has a twin blade on the cold side that that is what a dual scroll was. Live and learn. thank you sir . happy stanging
All good man. Learning is the best part of this site. I SURELY did not know what a twin scroll turbo was before I got here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your pic is of the intake turbine wheel and there is an exhaust turbine wheel attached to the same shaft directly behind the one in your pic so the exhaust spins that turbine wheel which in turn causes the intake turbine to wheel to spin compressing the intake charge to give us the 20 + psi boost our cars make under WOT.

The single/dual scroll refers to the number of exhaust flow paths that are used to direct exhaust to spin the exhaust turbine wheel.

BD
I'm an old school mechanic trying my best at my age to learn to have fun with a new set of rules, it's not carburetors anymore. its injectors and tuning, chips, boost, and the list goes on. I appreciate you filling in some of the blanks and correcting me where i was wrong. happy stanging

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I am learning here as well since I am also an old skool retired mechanic from the carb/distributor days. Thats what's so great about this forum is all the helpful members willing to share the knowledge with others. :):cool:

BD

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am learning here as well since I am also an old skool retired mechanic from the carb/distributor days. Thats what's so great about this forum is all the helpful members willing to share the knowledge with others. :):cool:

BD
right on man, you haven't seen the last of me, I'll be back as i grow in this awesome wonderful world of modern mechanics, hey who's to say what tomorrow will bring. I give thanks to this forum and guys like you who willing to look out for others in need of help. happy stanging

·
Registered
17 Posts
I came across Engineering Explained on YouTube, he has a lot of great information. Check out this video, hopefully it will answer your questions. https://www.youtube.com/user/EngineeringExplained/search?query=turbo blanket
thank you, this is helpful, I'm cool with the temps from the turbo in the Eng compartment but i think that because I'm reaching as hot as in-between 125 and 193 up and down as the thermostat open and closes in traffic on a hot day that it is a little hot causing hesitation and fuel mixer imbalance I'm wondering if being that the coolant line is right above the turbo is this causing me to have this problem and also sometimes causing a back fire .

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
That seems to be a big swing in temps with an engine at operating temps. My car with the A/C on stays between 185 and 195 and with no A/C just vent it will range from 185 up to 210 in traffic as the coolant fans cycle on and off. This is in 95 to 100 degree ambient temps.

It should never get as low as 125 after its at full operating temps. It sounds as if your thermostat may be stuck open or temp sender/gauge is bad.

BD

·
Registered
17 Posts
That seems to be a big swing in temps with an engine at operating temps. My car with the A/C on stays between 185 and 195 and with no A/C just vent it will range from 185 up to 210 in traffic as the coolant fans cycle on and off. This is in 95 to 100 degree ambient temps.

It should never get as low as 125 after its at full operating temps. It sounds as if your thermostat may be stuck open or temp sender/gauge is bad.

BD
my bad i made a mistake in the number, it circulates between 193 to 215 on a hot day in traffic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
thank you, this is helpful, I'm cool with the temps from the turbo in the Eng compartment but i think that because I'm reaching as hot as in-between 125 and 193 up and down as the thermostat open and closes in traffic on a hot day that it is a little hot causing hesitation and fuel mixer imbalance I'm wondering if being that the coolant line is right above the turbo is this causing me to have this problem and also sometimes causing a back fire .
I installed the turbo blanket to reduce the hesitation AKA turbo lag. The blanket stops the heat from radiating into the surrounding air and holds that heat in the turbine housing. Energy is not lost to the engine compartment. The hot exhaust gases have a lot of energy that spin up the turbine. The more heat energy the quicker and faster the wheel spins. The video showes the exhaust gas temp coming out of the turbine was hotter with the blanket. That tells me the hot gases are flowing through the turbine to do more work not just warming up the engine compartment.
Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed the turbo blanket to reduce the hesitation AKA turbo lag. The blanket stops the heat from radiating into the surrounding air and holds that heat in the turbine housing. Energy is not lost to the engine compartment. The hot exhaust gases have a lot of energy that spin up the turbine. The more heat energy the quicker and faster the wheel spins. The video showes the exhaust gas temp coming out of the turbine was hotter with the blanket. That tells me the hot gases are flowing through the turbine to do more work not just warming up the engine compartment.
Tom
thanks for the info, thanks to everyone who has added their experience as for a turbo blanket i guess it's safe to say that the blanket dose helps as for what it should do, so i have another question maybe someone can answer, . on a hot day driving in stop and go traffic let's just say i stop to go into a store, when i return and start the car i see that the air temp gauge says 100, sometimes plus until i start driving again then it goes down to whatever temp it is outside. is that temp high or is this normal this up and down, i take it that that is the temp under the hood until i start to drive .

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
thanks for the info, thanks to everyone who has added their experience as for a turbo blanket i guess it's safe to say that the blanket dose helps as for what it should do, so i have another question maybe someone can answer, . on a hot day driving in stop and go traffic let's just say i stop to go into a store, when i return and start the car i see that the air temp gauge says 100, sometimes plus until i start driving again then it goes down to whatever temp it is outside. is that temp high or is this normal this up and down, i take it that that is the temp under the hood until i start to drive .

Thats is what is referred to as heat soak, so it is normal to see the IAT temp to rise after car is parked in the summer and then see IAT drop as you get moving again when air flow into intake resumes with engine running again. The underhood heat soaks into the air box and charge piping when sitting.

All perfectly normal and is directly proportional to ambient temps so the hotter it is outside the more heat soak will occur.

BD

41 - 55 of 55 Posts