Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

What size turbo is used on ecoboost with regards to turbo blanket sizing.

8K views 54 replies 7 participants last post by  ghiggs g 
#1 ·
I am looking at getting a turbo blanket for my eco but am not sure what size the turbo is in reference to what most sellers state. I am seeing T2/T3/T4 or GT 25/GT28/GT30 etc. I have seen some state the turbo is a Honeywell/Garrett GT22 turbo but do not see that size used when referencing any blankets for the eco.

I see on fleabay ones stating for T2/T3/T4 etc but when you check fitment chart, they state not compatible with thew 2020 ecoboost.

Anyone bought one of the cheap blankets and can state how well it fits and what size is the best fitting blanket.

Trying to reduce under hood temps as much as possible.

BD

Reactions: Coyote Chaser
#2 ·
I have a Funk Motorsport blanket that I installed. They designed it for the Ford Mustang. Overall I am pleased with it. Ford Mustang Ecoboost Turbo blanket
The springs they sent with it are a little too long so I used my lock wiring skills to get the blanket tighter onto the turbo housing. The waste gate actuator rod does rub the blanket but it still moves smoothly. You will smell the blanket cooking off for the first couple hundred miles but after that I don't smell anything. This blanket remains flexable so if you have to remove it and reinstall it there shouldn't be a problem.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood Light Vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Light Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

#3 ·
I have a Funk Motorsport blanket that I installed. They designed it for the Ford Mustang. Overall I am pleased with it. Ford Mustang Ecoboost Turbo blanket
The springs they sent with it are a little too long so I used my lock wiring skills to get the blanket tighter onto the turbo housing. The waste gate actuator rod does rub the blanket but it still moves smoothly. You will smell the blanket cooking off for the first couple hundred miles but after that I don't smell anything. This blanket remains flexable so if you have to remove it and reinstall it there shouldn't be a problem. View attachment 42814 View attachment 42815 View attachment 42816
How difficult was it to get put in place around the underside of the turbo housing? Is the price in pounds so assume it is from the UK.

BD

Reactions: gatornek
#10 ·
Tom
PS, thanks for the extra pics.

BD

#11 ·
#12 ·
Well got my blanket and heat wrap order yesterday. I cheaped out and went with fleabay items for now. The blanket may not be as high of quality as some but funds are tight right now. The header wrap is pretty much same quality wherever you get it.
Here is what I ordered.

2" 50Ft Titanium Basalt Manifold Header Exhaust Pipe Heat Wrap + 20 Ties Kit | eBay

T25/T28 GT25 GT28 GT30 GT35 Titanium TURBO CHARGER HEAT WRAP SHIELD BLANKET US | eBay

BD
Cool, That price can't be beat, let us know how it fits.

Tom

#13 ·
Will do.

BD

#16 ·
I have thought about the blanket increasing the temps of the turbo exhaust housing as well, but the turbos in our mustangs are oil/water cooled so not sure if it's a real concern for a daily driver. I can see it being an issue on a heavily used track car since you are at WOT most of the time as compared to a DD car.

You say you have had issues/breakage, exactly what type of failure have you had occur. Is you're car a DD or track car?

BD

#15 ·
Sorry do not read or speak Spanish.

BD

#18 ·
I can see issues with it being covered in a blanket in track use vehicles and especially with only oil cooled turbos indeed.
Our ecoboosts have so many electronic nannies I just about bet it will limit turbo output if it sees an over temp condition from too high of EGTs.

BD

#20 ·
I cannot answer that question directly, but the turbos in the ecos are both oil cooled and water cooled so under normal daily driving conditions I would think it should not be too much if an issue.

If driving very spirited or tracking the car, then it may be prudent to allow 3-5 minutes of idle cool down before shutting off the engine, but that is just my opinion and not based on any real facts or experiences.

The fact that the oil drains away from gravity after shutting off would indicate that very little is left in the bearing to be heat soaked or become baked in the hot bearings after shutoff.

Again, all just my opinions.

BD

#23 ·
hello there, i found one on Ebay for under 30 bucks, . not a perfect fit but i managed to make it work just as well. Save the factory shield for none of them that I've seen cover the turbo close to the head, so i cut the shield at half point and bolted it back on. this now cover the entire turbo.

#24 ·
I haven't had the chance to try and put my fleabay blanket on yet, but was looking at the shield and turbo the other day and was thinking about saving as much of the shield as I can to do just that and cover right up to the head. I also thought about cutting the shield right between the coolant lines and putting the lower half in place with the one torx screw and use some aluminum heat tape to patch the cuts seam so it would have both the blanket and the shield over the turbo.

BD

#26 ·
If I do the cut in the middle of the shield and reinstall both halves with aluminum tape, I can still easily remove both to service the turbo if needed. I was just thinking added heat protection by using both blanket and shield together.

BD

#27 ·
i think it's an over kill, but at the same time i don't see any harm in it other than just more work, now maybe someone one out there can answer this question for the two of us, for i stayed wondering about it after i installed the blanket and heat shield combo. adding the shield on top of the blanket is pushing the blanket against the turbo, will this hurt the blanket or defeat the purpose?

#30 ·
Totally winging this, because I've no experience with turbo blankets. Does the blanket act as insulation? If so, compressing it may make it less effective. Fiberglass insulation in building construction needs to be "fluffed" to fit inside the appropriate spaces. Compressing it, stuffing more in, or using insulation material meant for thicker walls inside thinner walls, can result in less effective performance. Anyhow, that's what I was thinking when I saw mention of "the shield forcing the blanket against the turbo housing."

#31 ·
thinking about what you had to say here, now leaves me to rethink things. in my case because I'm running a twin scroll leading to more heat than a factory turbo, I'm going to widen the heat shield by cutting it down the center and riveting some the lower half of the shield to close the gap leaving space for the blanket to flex and create an air pocket. the question i guess I'm left with is it really going to make that much of a difference and by how many degrees. I'm going to find out just for the sake of it. I'll get back to you on this, i know that my car on a hot day after running for a while hits 215 head temps on a really hot day in stop and go traffic.

#32 · (Edited)
The blanket does insulate and hold the turbo heat in so as to increase exhaust velocity from faster expansion of exhaust gasses due to more retained heat/energy from the used exhaust. I don't feel that the blanket being compressed by the shield makes much if any difference at all in terms of less fluff in the blanket.

Think about header wrap tape that is would tightly around the pipes, there is zero fluff and zero air gap at all and yet they insulate the pipes very well and keep under hood heat down while improving exhaust flow in header by retaining the heat in the pipe for better scavenging of exhaust.

Heat is energy and the less heat lost the more energy extracted from the wasted exhaust heat. Thats exactly why a turbo is free horsepower since it utilizes the wasted heat of the exhaust to spin the exhaust impeller at 100,000 plus rpm to create boost.

All eco stangs are twin scroll turbos so unless you have an aftermarket bigger turbo or the HPP version with the slightly larger factory turbo there no differences except turbine diameters.

BD

Reactions: MD18EcoStang
#33 ·
thanks for the update the info sounds good. i decided to leave thing as is. but as for this aftermarket turbo it has a larger turbine with a twin scroll, i have a 2016, when i removed the factory turbo the turbine has a single scroll the aftermarket has a twin scroll. i guess ford must have upgraded the newer model turbos to a twin scroll?

#43 ·
I am learning here as well since I am also an old skool retired mechanic from the carb/distributor days. Thats what's so great about this forum is all the helpful members willing to share the knowledge with others. :):cool:

BD

#47 ·
I came across Engineering Explained on YouTube, he has a lot of great information. Check out this video, hopefully it will answer your questions. https://www.youtube.com/user/EngineeringExplained/search?query=turbo blanket
thank you, this is helpful, I'm cool with the temps from the turbo in the Eng compartment but i think that because I'm reaching as hot as in-between 125 and 193 up and down as the thermostat open and closes in traffic on a hot day that it is a little hot causing hesitation and fuel mixer imbalance I'm wondering if being that the coolant line is right above the turbo is this causing me to have this problem and also sometimes causing a back fire .

#46 ·
Interesting video.

BD

Reactions: Coyote Chaser
#48 ·
That seems to be a big swing in temps with an engine at operating temps. My car with the A/C on stays between 185 and 195 and with no A/C just vent it will range from 185 up to 210 in traffic as the coolant fans cycle on and off. This is in 95 to 100 degree ambient temps.

It should never get as low as 125 after its at full operating temps. It sounds as if your thermostat may be stuck open or temp sender/gauge is bad.

BD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.