Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Afternoon guys,
This is my first post in the site, though I've been lurking for a couple of weeks. I'm hoping you might help me figure out what this noise is that I've been hearing from my car the last couple of months. This is the first Turbo vehicle I have owned, so I'm a little wet behind the ears.

My car is a 2018 EB Mustang, base model (no options whatsoever), with MT. I bought it new from the dealership with less than 10 miles on it at the end of 2018, and it just hit 36k. I was in a wreck about a month after I bought it in which someone smashed into the front passenger-side quadrant. Bodywork was done, intercooler/ fan/some hoses were replaced. The downpipe and turbo were removed during the process but were not repaired or replaced. After getting the car back, I had to return it the same day because the dealer apparently didn't tighten something and the car stopped going into boost. Since then, the car has run great and I haven't noticed anything "off"...until about a month ago when I realized that I have an exhaust leak. With everything going on, I haven't taken the car to the dealer yet (I am very close to certain that the leak is coming from the seal on my downpipe), but in the interim I have noticed something new, which is what this post is about.

Now, it is POSSIBLE that these cars are supposed to make this noise, and that mine has always made the noise, and maybe I just never noticed because I constantly have the radio on, but it just seems like I would have heard the noise at SOME POINT before now if it has always been happening.

Below is a link to a video I took this morning (please excuse the quarantine hair...I didn't realize I had the camera facing me ehhhhh...). What I am hearing is a "whooshing" sound...sort of like someone loudly going "Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!". It starts just after the car gets into boost, maybe 5psi, and continues until I let off the gas. It might be worth noting that (at least according to the dash gauge) at WOT, the boost will still get up to 18-20psi as normal.

My buddy suggested that maybe I was just hearing the factory blow-off valve, but I didn't think you were supposed to be able to hear them in these cars. I checked all the hoses I could reach yesterday, and they all seemed to be tight. I couldn't reach the one from the bottom of the intercooler so I took a pic with my phone and...I'll just attach that pic as well. Looks suspect to me.

Depending on your audio setup, it may or may not be easy to hear the sound. When I play the video on my phone, it is clear as day, but when I played it on my computer just now, I had to turn the volume way up. It will be right after you hear the engine start to rev in each gear.

Thanks!!!

MJ

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I had my PC speakers all the way up, but could not hear anything that sounded abnormal?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The throttle blade and electronic blow off valve wiĺ work to maintain torque targets based on throttle input and engine load.
The throttle blade will partially close independent of the position of the gas pedal and the blow off valve will bleed off boost into a recirculation hose to be fed back into the intake tube.
Both of those processes create a whoosh noise
So long as the car can reach peak boost during WOT then there shouldn't be anything to worry about as far as boost leaks.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
you are hearing a WOOOOOOOOSHHH noise every time you accelerate?

I just put in a KN drop in filter and my car started to EXACTLLY that noise you are just showing. it sounds like a some kind of suction noise.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I had the K & N filter in the stock air box before going to a Roush CAI.
I never heard any extra suction noise with the K & N.
It certainly has a lower resistance to the incoming air over the stock paper filter, but not enough to make a difference to air flow sound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the K & N filter in the stock air box before going to a Roush CAI.
I never heard any extra suction noise with the K & N.
It certainly has a lower resistance to the incoming air over the stock paper filter, but not enough to make a difference to air flow sound.
Problem solved, i didnt realize that the top part kinda needs to slide in and down before clipping it on.

turns out their was a half a centimetre gap. Now the box is sealed tightly and the noise is much much less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts