Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The topic of our engines blowing has been beaten like a dead horse in forums, but I want to find out what your course of action will be if your engine was to blow tommorow out of warranty. Many people in the car community say the 2.3 in a mustang is a lost cause, and would just get a GT. Would you get an entirely new car, or purchase a new engine with built internals that may be more reliable than the first? I want to keep my eco for as long as possible and lately I've been wondering what would be best to do if you have a catastrophic engine failure once warranty is up.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I would get a stock engine, then sell it, and cut my losses, if I wanted more power and get a GT.
If you blow your engine through extreme engine mods, then you have gone too far beyond what the engine was designed for.

There is a limit to which to take the Ecoboost too, and if you are going to spend the $$$$ for a built engine with better internals and all the power mods, you might as well just buy a GT, get a few bolt ons and a tune and have better reliability in the long term IMO.

·
Super Moderator
6,262 Posts
Long block with forged, balanced, blueprinted internals which would take the stress of a larger turbo.

the 2.3 is a good motor, it'll take what is given to it provided a little care is taken in the building of the rotating assembly.

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
I'd likely get a built block from Tune+.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I’ve posted this before. In 2015 145k Mustangs were produced... of those about 1/3rd we’re EB’s. In 2017 or 18 the V6 went away giving way to more EB’s.

There were a huge amount on the rental market, as were EB Fusions, Focus ST/RS on and on..

Crooning all the forums yields a small number of those who have blown engines. Those trying to make 350++++ whp and race etc are those that run into issues. And again we tend to only here about those that have issues and not the thousands of stock EB’s used every day as DD’s

Having said all that, at 6k miles I’ve had to replace a turbo under warranty. We don’t have long term projections on if these cars will see 200k/ - 400k miles like Crown Vic’s or Lincoln Town Cars, but typically Mustang owners tend to thrash a bit more than the average Lincoln owner.

Long winded answer for - “I don’t know...”.
Short answer my trust in the platform isn’t as high as Ford Marketing’s is... we have guys on this forum that do autocross and beat the snot out of their cars…. No problems.

I have an 05 GT and 16 EB. I have a suspicion that when I hit the 3/36 in 2020, I may part ways despite liking the car... mainly out of trust.

Please excuse the typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Load another bullet. ( I'm an old gearhead and have been around all kinds of destruction) Really, I'm more worried about the manual trans...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Eco 2.0. 2.0 block and as Zhent said Tune+. After all the Eco bashing that has gone on by the GT world I don’t think I could ever jump ship. The Eco is more than enough car for me. I’m not a drag racer and if I get into autocross the Eco is a great platform.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The topic of our engines blowing has been beaten like a dead horse in forums, but I want to find out what your course of action will be if your engine was to blow tommorow out of warranty. Many people in the car community say the 2.3 in a mustang is a lost cause, and would just get a GT. Would you get an entirely new car, or purchase a new engine with built internals that may be more reliable than the first? I want to keep my eco for as long as possible and lately I've been wondering what would be best to do if you have a catastrophic engine failure once warranty is up.
At the risk of sounding cynical, that's like asking what would you do if your house got destroyed by an earthquake and you didn't have earthquake insurance. The sad truth is it will vary from person to person and strongly depend on their means, which is to say how much money their making versus how much debt they have. Speaking for myself only, I would probably cry at least once, then attempt to get the dealer and/or Ford to pay for the repairs. And if that didn't work, go buy whatever suited me at the moment, which more than likely would be a brand new Mustang EB.

Reactions: DanS and paul_g

·
Registered
861 Posts
I agree with Zhent, get a built 2.0L block and build from there. I love my car, and would keep it. Just build a better motor for her. Damn sure cheaper than buying a new one.

Reactions: DanS and Sarge

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I would build a new engine myself. I have done it before and expect to do it again before I'm pushing up Daiseys.

Dave

·
Registered
119 Posts
i would see about the possibility of a bored/stroked maybe a 2.6-3.0 aftermarket block that could stand up to extreme abuse/boost. failing that shoehorning the 3.5l ecoboost or the 2.7l ecoboost in.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
If you want nothing more then the EcoBoost platform then rebuilt the engine or get a new built engine to the specifications you want .or in my case i was lucky to have such a great car with Minimal problems..but was always in the back of my mind the engine could just boom one day .i was rapidly Approaching a 100k and sadly the EcoBoost mustang Depreciates like crazy.i was not trying to get rid of her .but last week got a call from my dealership that sold me the car and and ask if they could buy it back for what i owed on it or trade it on a new one with even a lower payment .sooo for not much more then I was paying a month before i now have a 2019 GT .no more trying to squeeze horse power out of the EcoBoost and Worrying about it blowing up i love the stock 460 hp and killer exhaust note.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would transplant a 1972 Dodge slant 6 into it. Not much power but if you're after reliability, those things are legendary.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would get another 2.3. Love my car, including the engine.

Reactions: DanS and Sarge

·
Registered
634 Posts
As much as I love my eco and the tru full bolt on it has become, at the end of the day, a 35k car and 6k of bolt on doesn’t equal a five liter V8. Sorry but the truth is out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am pleased with what I have. My only change would probably be an air intake upgrade and a different cat-back exhaust to eliminate the constant droning at 1500 to 1800 rpm. As far as what would I do if it hand grenaded, I purchased an extended warranty mostly for the electronics, but would probably replace the engine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree with Zhent and others. Built engine from Tune+. I have no desire for a heavier GT car that isnt as naturally balanced. I love my EB.

Reactions: Sarge

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’ve posted this before. In 2015 145k Mustangs were produced... of those about 1/3rd we’re EB’s. In 2017 or 18 the V6 went away giving way to more EB’s.

There were a huge amount on the rental market, as were EB Fusions, Focus ST/RS on and on..

Crooning all the forums yields a small number of those who have blown engines. Those trying to make 350++++ whp and race etc are those that run into issues. And again we tend to only here about those that have issues and not the thousands of stock EB’s used every day as DD’s

Having said all that, at 6k miles I’ve had to replace a turbo under warranty. We don’t have long term projections on if these cars will see 200k/ - 400k miles like Crown Vic’s or Lincoln Town Cars, but typically Mustang owners tend to thrash a bit more than the average Lincoln owner.
I think most of your post makes a LOT of sense: yes, people on forums tend to cause concern for things going wrong because, well, people like to complain. So that in turn makes others worried that it could happen to them...seen it on all the other major car forum sites from other manufacturers. It's funny because I've owned historically reliable cars (Honda, Acura, etc) that turned out to be quite problematic. To the point that I don't trust "Honda reliability" any more than I do other manufacturers.

The point you brought up about "we have guys on this forum that do autocross and beat the snot out of their cars…. No problems" is probably a bit misdirected. From my experience with autocrossing, it is one of the lower impact auto events. At our local events we never get out of 2nd gear and rarely hit 45 mph. That's pretty low impact. I would say road course racing and of course the drag strip are much harder on our vehicles given braking and speed conditions. I'm slightly afraid to even dyno my car because it NEVER sees the rev limiter even though I drive spiritedly and autocross. I think maybe you should have used road course and drag strip to define "beating the snot" out of our cars, because, typically, there are more aggressive avenues out there than autocrossing.

Reactions: 70gtvert
1 - 20 of 60 Posts