Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Not sure what I would do, but a 3.5 twin turbo swap sounds like a hoot. Turned up to about 600 hp, of course. It works for IMSA. If they can get 24 hours out of a 3.5 race engine in the ford gt, then it should be able to handle the street pretty well. I understand these are built to race standards, but if I remember correctly I think they only use about 8 pounds of boost per turbo in race trim.

Reactions: ImAnthony

·
Registered
570 Posts
As much as I love my eco and the tru full bolt on it has become, at the end of the day, a 35k car and 6k of bolt on doesn’t equal a five liter V8. Sorry but the truth is out there.
I disagree with this. Here is why. Stock ecoboost 2.3l (140 cid) 310hp = 2.2 hp /ci. Stock 5.0l (302 cid) 460hp = 1.5 hp /ci. My car (Cobb estimates, can provide link if asked, have posted said link in multiple threads) 2.3l 140 cid 384hp = 2.7 hp / ci. If I were to do stage 2 cams, head porting, cylinder support bracket thingy, and wmi, might pick up another lets say 75hp which would put me at 459hp (in theory), that would put me at 3.2 hp / ci. I don't think a coyote can do that.

I understand what I am saying would require 5k ish thrown at the motor. Now if I am going through all that, might as well upgrade the turbo, injectors, and what ever else might be required to live at high hp (auxiliary fueling).

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The point you brought up about "we have guys on this forum that do autocross and beat the snot out of their cars…. No problems" is probably a bit misdirected. From my experience with autocrossing, it is one of the lower impact auto events. At our local events we never get out of 2nd gear and rarely hit 45 mph. That's pretty low impact. I would say road course racing and of course the drag strip are much harder on our vehicles given braking and speed conditions. I'm slightly afraid to even dyno my car because it NEVER sees the rev limiter even though I drive spiritedly and autocross. I think maybe you should have used road course and drag strip to define "beating the snot" out of our cars, because, typically, there are more aggressive avenues out there than autocrossing.
Perhaps you are correct. I should have said; we have folks on this forum that even do various forms of racing, some may be be considered sport, competition aggressive and or less aggressive than others, however it more than likely falls outside the original intent of the manufacturers definition of "normal driving schedule" and to that respect, they post their weekend track day event info with no fanfare of engines blowing. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,265 Posts
If'n you are not on the rev limiter you're not pushing it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Humm, well if you HAVE to dream, dream BIG (cause I'd have a hard time with finacing anything out of warranty anyways). The coyote is a large beast. Huge in fact but the engine bay is designed for it. I'd go with one of these, pretty much the same dimensions overall. Gonna have FUN with THAT! ;-)
boss09.jpg

·
Registered
735 Posts
Humm, well if you HAVE to dream, dream BIG (cause I'd have a hard time with finacing anything out of warranty anyways). The coyote is a large beast. Huge in fact but the engine bay is designed for it. I'd go with one of these, pretty much the same dimensions overall. Gonna have FUN with THAT! ;-)
As much as I like the idea, the cammer is 32 inches wide, whereas the 5.0 is listed as 30 inches wide. Plus the 5.0 weighs around 450 lbs, with the cammer coming in at 650!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The topic of our engines blowing has been beaten like a dead horse in forums, but I want to find out what your course of action will be if your engine was to blow tomorrow out of warranty. Many people in the car community say the 2.3 in a mustang is a lost cause, and would just get a GT. Would you get an entirely new car, or purchase a new engine with built internals that may be more reliable than the first? I want to keep my eco for as long as possible and lately I've been wondering what would be best to do if you have a catastrophic engine failure once warranty is up.
Guys I am unfortunately a member of the boom squad as of today. I bought EMMA on 1/5/2019 after 4 years of owning a CX5 that my wife drove into the ground while I used her old BMW 335. My wife gave me back a beat up CX5 and got herself a new car... and I went with a premium used Eco-boost. I got it with 23K 2015 - extended 12 month 12,000 mile coverage.

I had the master cylinder fail in September, I replaced the fuel sensor that had been known to be bad and was replaced. I had to buy a new battery because the original died (i live in FL and it lasted 4 years, not bad). However last week my drivers side window motor stopped working and this weekend coolant sensor went off. I pulled over. Noticed I was real low on coolant even though I had filled it before thanksgiving. I had it towed home using insurance for free. I filled up coolant at home, drove it to Ford. I could smell coolant so I told them it was probably a leak.

It is the Block. It has gone to Ford and service agent has notified me he will let me know what they decide.

I have driven about 11000 miles, very conservatively. I have averaged about 23.5 mpg for the last 4500 miles. Hwy I can average 32 mpg highway.

I had been holding off on any mods, even though I really wanted to do down pipe and exhaust. Let's see what happens so we can see real time. I am definitely grateful I had the extended warranty. The block falls under the power train but hoping it is a seamless process and I get my car back by Christmas or the new year.
Reading these posts that F-150 Turbo Swap looks nice... Not sure I will have money out of my own pocket to do that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I really like my 2015 ecoboost PP 6 speed, fun to drive, looks great, the only mods I've done are airaid tube into stock air box and y pipe. Got this car 6 months with 60k.
I have never had a car that I was afaid to drive because it could just blow up, it cost a ton to replace a defective AC system every 4 years, head gaskets and the list just keeps going. I blame Ford for all these problems that they have made and they know they have these problems and don't do much to fix them.
I guess I am overreacting, I like all the ecoboost forums but If I had never read them I would be a happy motorist. Any way if it blows I'll but a chevy LS1 engine in it, they are a low priced lightweight dependable engine, after all hot rodder's have been putting Chevy engines in Fords forever.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I had my 2015 EB PP 6spd for 3-1/2 years with very few issues until it was totaled in May 2018. Within 8 days I purchased my current 2018 EB Premium 201A and other than a problem with the low pressure fuel sensor, no other engine problems. I have no plans to get rid of this car. I love the platform and with all the suspension upgrades I've done, the handling is superb. So, if it went Eco-BOOM!, I would definitely replace the engine with a built 2.0 block from Tune+ or equivalent. I like the balance of the car due to the engine weight and the fact we can get a very good hp to displacement ratio. This car is my daily driver, but when I want to romp, it doesn't disappoint.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just traded my 17 GT PP 3 days ago for a 19 eco....if the eco goes boom I will not go back to a GT, front end is too heavy, too damned loud, the Pzero tires are for sh_t, the ride on the PP is a bouncy nose diving mess......the new eco is really a relief. If it goes boom (probably with my plans) then it’ll get a built motor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I really like my 2015 ecoboost PP 6 speed, fun to drive, looks great, the only mods I've done are airaid tube into stock air box and y pipe. Got this car 6 months with 60k.
I have never had a car that I was afaid to drive because it could just blow up, it cost a ton to replace a defective AC system every 4 years, head gaskets and the list just keeps going. I blame Ford for all these problems that they have made and they know they have these problems and don't do much to fix them.
I guess I am overreacting, I like all the ecoboost forums but If I had never read them I would be a happy motorist. Any way if it blows I'll but a chevy LS1 engine in it, they are a low priced lightweight dependable engine, after all hot rodder's have been putting Chevy engines in Fords forever.
04956B97-8EDD-47F4-A0AD-0DBAB92C22D5.jpeg

??

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I love my car, and I've put a lot of time, work, and money into it, so I'd get a new motor too, maybe Tune+, maybe HPP.

Reactions: Doc69 and DanS

·
Registered
224 Posts
Drop in a Chevy 383. Bored and stroked 350 .030 over with a 400 ci crankshaft, 202 heads and and a LS6 intake. Game over GT's.

Reactions: robracer

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’ve posted this before. In 2015 145k Mustangs were produced... of those about 1/3rd we’re EB’s. In 2017 or 18 the V6 went away giving way to more EB’s.

There were a huge amount on the rental market, as were EB Fusions, Focus ST/RS on and on..

Crooning all the forums yields a small number of those who have blown engines. Those trying to make 350++++ whp and race etc are those that run into issues. And again we tend to only here about those that have issues and not the thousands of stock EB’s used every day as DD’s

Having said all that, at 6k miles I’ve had to replace a turbo under warranty. We don’t have long term projections on if these cars will see 200k/ - 400k miles like Crown Vic’s or Lincoln Town Cars, but typically Mustang owners tend to thrash a bit more than the average Lincoln owner.

Long winded answer for - “I don’t know...”.
Short answer my trust in the platform isn’t as high as Ford Marketing’s is... we have guys on this forum that do autocross and beat the snot out of their cars…. No problems.

I have an 05 GT and 16 EB. I have a suspicion that when I hit the 3/36 in 2020, I may part ways despite liking the car... mainly out of trust.

Please excuse the typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 2015 ecoboost performance package that I have not pushed to the limits or modified purposefully. I am having it serviced for a failed clutch and flywheel that overheated and must also be replaced. One thing I must credit to ford they are willing to meet me half ways on the repairs as I was the first owner of the vehicle and I am even out of warranty on the thing. But again I did not modify the vehicle but plan to do so after I have paid the remaining year I have left on the finance. I like blue oval now more than ever knowing they are willing to bend the rules to keep a customer seated in the car and happy. After I no longer have them backing me I plan to to enjoy the power plant and upgrade her to improve on her existing strengths not chase horse power which always end up with your car in the scrap yard. The biggest upgrade I recommend for Ecoboost owners is a aluminum flywheel to reduce weight and a better performance clutch and pressure plate. The weakest point in these cars seems to be in that area.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have a 2015 ecoboost performance package that I have not pushed to the limits or modified purposefully. I am having it serviced for a failed clutch and flywheel that overheated and must also be replaced. One thing I must credit to ford they are willing to meet me half ways on the repairs as I was the first owner of the vehicle and I am even out of warranty on the thing. But again I did not modify the vehicle but plan to do so after I have paid the remaining year I have left on the finance. I like blue oval now more than ever knowing they are willing to bend the rules to keep a customer seated in the car and happy. After I no longer have them backing me I plan to to enjoy the power plant and upgrade her to improve on her existing strengths not chase horse power which always end up with your car in the scrap yard. The biggest upgrade I recommend for Ecoboost owners is a aluminum flywheel to reduce weight and a better performance clutch and pressure plate. The weakest point in these cars seems to be in that area.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are still under warranty, isn't the transmission part of the "powertrain"?? Why aren't they covering all costs under warranty to get this fixed?

·
Registered
224 Posts
He said in his post he's out of warranty.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts