Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting an itch to move to a GT. I have found a couple of GT/CS, but all that are out there are 2020's. This is a convertible, original sticker is 56K, rebates and discounts they have it at 49,899. Being a 2020, I think I'd take a HUGE hit in value. I KBB's that car, with 500 miles, comes back with a Trade Value of 38 to 40K. That's a massive hit. Anyone ever had any success buying a year old car for ridiculous money? If they'd let it go for 42, I'd take it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I am getting an itch to move to a GT. I have found a couple of GT/CS, but all that are out there are 2020's. This is a convertible, original sticker is 56K, rebates and discounts they have it at 49,899. Being a 2020, I think I'd take a HUGE hit in value. I KBB's that car, with 500 miles, comes back with a Trade Value of 38 to 40K. That's a massive hit. Anyone ever had any success buying a year old car for ridiculous money? If they'd let it go for 42, I'd take it.
I felt pretty good getting a 2020 ecoboost with a high-performance package and handling package for 8K under sticker. I am sure I’ll still take a depreciation hit on it, however, the thing that concerns me with buying used mustangs is we all know how most people drive them.😁

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine was 2 year leftover on showroom floor, I got 12k off.
Yeah, I don’t think I’ll get that lucky. It’s a weird year. 2021 models aren’t even on the lot yet.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
A 20% depreciation the minute you drive off the lot is pretty typical when buying a new car unless it is something special.

Buying a new car is the worst financial investment most people will ever make. If you are concerned about depreciation then the sweet spot is buying a 3 year old car.

Personally I don't ever consider depreciation with a car purchase. My plan is always to keep the car until it is worn out and has no appreciable value, for me, that is 7 to 10 years.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
A 20% depreciation the minute you drive off the lot is pretty typical when buying a new car unless it is something special.

Buying a new car is the worst financial investment most people will ever make. If you are concerned about depreciation then the sweet spot is buying a 3 year old car.

Personally I don't ever consider depreciation with a car purchase. My plan is always to keep the car until it is worn out and has no appreciable value, for me, that is 7 to 10 years.

That's what Dave Ramsey says. Always buy a car 2 years old. I've never been the best at making financial decisions, and I love new cars, so I don't listen. Oh well, can't take the money with you, right?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
That's what Dave Ramsey says. Always buy a car 2 years old. I've never been the best at making financial decisions, and I love new cars, so I don't listen. Oh well, can't take the money with you, right?
I just read Bob Lutz's new book "Car Guys vs The Bean Counters , the Battle for the Soul of the American Auto Industry".

Lutz was a senior executive at Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Exide and finished out his career as Vice Chairman of GM.

In one of the chapters he was talking about why some new models are successful and others flounder. He said new car buying is an emotional decision and that everyone would be better served to purchase a two year old car.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

that was my plan with my Ecoboost. TBH, I’ve sort of lost some faith in the platform after having the block crack with around 15k on the engine. I bought the Ecoboost for the better insurance rates. Now with my new carrier, there is virtually no increase in rates. I lightly modded the car, Ford performance tune, suspension, Ford exhaust, inter cooler, bov. Warranty is up in August, and I really don’t want to pay for replacing a short block. Warranty covered it last time.

Reactions: bbodin

·
Registered
995 Posts
Me... I always over pay! But my wife has purchased our last (2) vehicles. Both were last year models and had been on the dealership lot for over (6) months. The truck was maybe $52k and we paid $43.5k, the Mustang was around $30k and we paid $25k.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I just tell them the truth, I’m looking for a car around this much, and they helped me into my new cars under msrp

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I just tell them the truth, I’m looking for a car around this much, and they helped me into my new cars under msrp
I am way to particular for that. I nearly always do a factory order for my cars. Plus long before I ever speak with the sales department I have configured the car I want, determined what I am willing to pay and have the financing in place.

My first new car was bought off the lot with little concern for colors or options in 1973. For the 8 years I owned it I was wishing I had gotten different options and a different color interior. Told myself I would never do that again. There has been once the dealer had exactly what I wanted and a couple of times they were able to locate on another dealers lot exactly what I wanted but the rest have been a factory order.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They have a 2019 GT premium convertible around my house for $30K. It’s a rental and I haven’t looked at it but seems like a good deal.
My daughter bought a 2020 ecoboost rental that looks brand new, only thing I see wrong is 3 tires are newer then the 4th but she saved a ton over new

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought my 2019 Ecoboost in February of 2020. Stickered for $32K and bought it for $22k. Dealer said they sold it at a loss. They were a small town dealer. So I'd say start looking around at smaller dealers that still have 2020's in stock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh, and they also had a 2019 convertible GT that stickered for like 56K that the guy told me they sold for $38k the week after I bought mine

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello
I am wondering whether you decided to buy the GT in the end?? What made you decide to ?
I occasionally think about getting a GT, I cannot explain why though? The EB is perfect for my daily driving needs but also for the mountainy twisty roads I enjoy so much (although I've heard that the 2018 GT handling is much better than the 2015???). I just cannot understand my desire sometimes to buy one.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I can’t say I would. The prices are gone that I would pay.
Covid made deals really not readily available

with everything going on, Inflation about to happen.
Id keep eb

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello
I am wondering whether you decided to buy the GT in the end?? What made you decide to ?
I occasionally think about getting a GT, I cannot explain why though? The EB is perfect for my daily driving needs but also for the mountainy twisty roads I enjoy so much (although I've heard that the 2018 GT handling is much better than the 2015???). I just cannot understand my desire sometimes to buy one.
I upgraded to a 2020 GT PP1 10A for $43,450. Stickered for a hair under $50K. Got 23K in trade on my EB, and I owed 22K. Plus you only pay taxes on the amount of the new car after the trade value is subtracted. Anyway, from the amazing exhaust sounds (with Active Exhaust) to the power available from the get-go, it is a whole different animal from an Ecoboost. The PP1 package includes beefier front springs, so that probably helps with the handling. I don't notice a huge difference throwing it around corners.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 EcoBoost Perfomance Premium Stang
21 Posts
How long do you plan to keep the car? It is mostly irrelevant if you are like me and keep cars 10-15 years. We snagged a deal by way of a HPP fully loaded stick shift with Perf and handling package + Active exhaust +++ (MSRP $43,000) for $34,700 - 20% off. discount MSRP $+ fabulous trade in deal. Last year prior to vehicle shortage trade was worth 6K, with trade in we got $13,000 against the 34,700 so it was a fabulous deal all in all with a hard to beat new car 2.99% loan for 72 months and no money out of pocket.

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts
How long do you plan to keep the car? It is mostly irrelevant if you are like me and keep cars 10-15 years. We snagged a deal by way of a HPP fully loaded stick shift with Perf and handling package + Active exhaust +++ (MSRP $43,000) for $34,700 - 20% off. discount MSRP $+ fabulous trade in deal. Last year prior to vehicle shortage trade was worth 6K, with trade in we got $13,000 against the 34,700 so it was a fabulous deal all in all with a hard to beat new car 2.99% loan for 72 months and no money out of pocket.
exactly. I am on year 9 with my Scion tC. no regrets, its paid off within first year, and I just drive it and dont worry about anything really. mustang, I will have paid off within 8 months, and then it'll just become the summer daily with no payment.

you dont lose any value if you never sell. fact. my Scion tC, kbb is 3k. but I would not sell it for 6 or even 9k. then id have to buy another car, payment, etc. mines already decked out with sound system etc. a joy really. but on the mustang6g those guys will trade 5 cars in a week, lose out the ass, then buy the most expensive gt350r they can find. I dont quite get it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts