Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Should I add two mufflers on the back or one on the resonator?

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends!

So I was looking to get a downpipe so I could finally get a Stage 3, the problem is that my current exhaust setup is a stright pipe (no resonator and mufflers) and after searching a bit of clips with a catless downpipe and zero mufflers on the ecoboost I got surprised on how terrible it sounds.

I saw some posts where people put a muffler where the resonator would be but I can't really find a setup with a catless downpipe.
I really love the magnaflow exhaust but I can't really afford a catless downpipe and a full exhaust, what are your thoughts on the best muffler to use with a catless downpipe?

Thanks! 🙃

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hello friends!

So I was looking to get a downpipe so I could finally get a Stage 3, the problem is that my current exhaust setup is a stright pipe (no resonator and mufflers) and after searching a bit of clips with a catless downpipe and zero mufflers on the ecoboost I got surprised on how terrible it sounds.

I saw some posts where people put a muffler where the resonator would be but I can't really find a setup with a catless downpipe.
I really love the magnaflow exhaust but I can't really afford a catless downpipe and a full exhaust, what are your thoughts on the best muffler to use with a catless downpipe?

Thanks! 🙃
I favor putting a muffler in place of the resonator and eliminating the rear mufflers. It saves weight and looks better, from the rear of the car. Assuming your downpipe has a 3" outlet, you could use the Magnaflow # 12288 muffler. It's got a 3" inlet and 2 2 1/2" outlets. It's a straight-through design, so it has minimal restriction. With a cat, it has a very deep, mellow tone. Without a cat, it will be a bit louder, but I don't think it would be too loud. If it were still too loud, you could have the muffler shop add some small resonators, right where the mufflers used to be A competent muffler shop should be able to handle that very easily for you. It would also be a lot cheaper than buying an off-the-shelf system, that might not fit???

Reactions: zhent

·
Registered
16 Posts
I favor putting a muffler in place of the resonator and eliminating the rear mufflers. It saves weight and looks better, from the rear of the car. Assuming your downpipe has a 3" outlet, you could use the Magnaflow # 12288 muffler. It's got a 3" inlet and 2 2 1/2" outlets. It's a straight-through design, so it has minimal restriction. With a cat, it has a very deep, mellow tone. Without a cat, it will be a bit louder, but I don't think it would be too loud. If it were still too loud, you could have the muffler shop add some small resonators, right where the mufflers used to be A competent muffler shop should be able to handle that very easily for you. It would also be a lot cheaper than buying an off-the-shelf system, that might not fit???
Thanks for the insight on this Moxman. Trying to figure out what to do with my exhaust, but will want to go with a 3" catted downpipe. Just not sure if would rather leave the stock 2.25" exhaust intact and put a 3" to 2.25" ypipe to replace the resonator, or if I should go with your setup. My question on your setup is this though: It's hard to tell from the pictures, but do you lose any ground clearance with with the muffler there where the resonator used to be? I'm already lowered 1.5" front and rear, so may not be able to make it out of my driveway if I lose any more ground clearance.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks for the insight on this Moxman. Trying to figure out what to do with my exhaust, but will want to go with a 3" catted downpipe. Just not sure if would rather leave the stock 2.25" exhaust intact and put a 3" to 2.25" ypipe to replace the resonator, or if I should go with your setup. My question on your setup is this though: It's hard to tell from the pictures, but do you lose any ground clearance with with the muffler there where the resonator used to be? I'm already lowered 1.5" front and rear, so may not be able to make it out of my driveway if I lose any more ground clearance.
You raise an interesting question. The answer is yes; you will lose a little ground clearance, if you put a Magnaflow muffler in place of the stock resonator. In your case, I'd recommend a Y-pipe where the resonator is located and running 2.5" mid-pipes to rear mufflers. A 2.5" in and out muffler would work just fine. I've often thought about doing this setup on my car, to see what the difference in sound would be? My car's not lowered, so ground clearance isn't an issue; I just like to experiment with different configurations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You raise an interesting question. The answer is yes; you will lose a little ground clearance, if you put a Magnaflow muffler in place of the stock resonator. In your case, I'd recommend a Y-pipe where the resonator is located and running 2.5" mid-pipes to rear mufflers. A 2.5" in and out muffler would work just fine. I've often thought about doing this setup on my car, to see what the difference in sound would be? My car's not lowered, so ground clearance isn't an issue; I just like to experiment with different configurations.
Thanks for your honest answer Moxman. I love your setup, but was a little afraid that would put the muffler too low to the ground. I'll work it up as you suggested. May be a few months before I can get it done, but will post the sound clip once it's done. Thanks again!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I support this suggestion I once put a magnaflow muffler instead of a stock resonator and I didn't like the outcome. Using the Y pipe Just as you suggested is genius. Thumbs up(y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts