Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the future I was thinking of getting my Ecoboost tuned professionally. I’m looking to quicken my Ecoboost a little, but still keep it reliable since it’s my only car. I did some research and found that TunePlus and PD Tuning were the two top companies. I just need help choosing between the two. I would either go with the W350 package for TunePlus, or the Stage 2 Upgrade bundle from PD Tuning, since they are both affordable. Which of the two tuning companies have you guys chosen? Also, which company do you think does a better job at tuning/revisions? I know it’s my own choice in the end, but I figured I’d gather some information to consolidate.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
In the future I was thinking of getting my Ecoboost tuned professionally. I’m looking to quicken my Ecoboost a little, but still keep it reliable since it’s my only car. I did some research and found that TunePlus and PD Tuning were the two top companies. I just need help choosing between the two. I would either go with the W350 package for TunePlus, or the Stage 2 Upgrade bundle from PD Tuning, since they are both affordable. Which of the two tuning companies have you guys chosen? Also, which company do you think does a better job at tuning/revisions? I know it’s my own choice in the end, but I figured I’d gather some information to consolidate.
I've been getting my car dialed in with the turbonetics NX2 kit from purple drank and have had nothing but positive experiences so far. Ryan is what I consider the EcoBoost tuning wizard. My car was pushing so much boost that I blew the factory charge pipes clean off. Both tune+ and PDTUNING are excellent tuners. I've heard that Adam from tune+ can sometimes be difficult to work with but he has been cranking out 600+ HP reliable EcoBoost cars for a while. Ryan so far has been VERY easy to work with and is a patient guy will answer any questions you might have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been getting my car dialed in with the turbonetics NX2 kit from purple drank and have had nothing but positive experiences so far. Ryan is what I consider the EcoBoost tuning wizard. My car was pushing so much boost that I blew the factory charge pipes clean off. Both tune+ and PDTUNING are excellent tuners. I've heard that Adam from tune+ can sometimes be difficult to work with but he has been cranking out 600+ HP reliable EcoBoost cars for a while. Ryan so far has been VERY easy to work with and is a patient guy will answer any questions you might have.
I think I understand what you mean. Correct me if I’m wrong, but do you mean that: I should start with PD Tuning since I’m new to modding, and I could even upgrade to an NX2 and better charge pipes with them and have them tune my car? Do you also mean that when I get a job and save up money that I should go with TunePlus for a bigger turbo and e85 and a built block (to push 500+ HP), as well as having him tune it since I would have a better idea of the tuning process?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think I understand what you mean. Correct me if I’m wrong, but do you mean that: I should start with PD Tuning since I’m new to modding, and I could even upgrade to an NX2 and better charge pipes with them and have them tune my car? Do you also mean that when I get a job and save up money that I should go with TunePlus for a bigger turbo and e85 and a built block (to push 500+ HP), as well as having him tune it since I would have a better idea of the tuning process?
Either tuning service should work fine. Ryan has been tuning since the Mazdaspeed 3 days. Both should be able to crank out a high horsepower EcoBoost with the right supporting mods. I simply went with PDTUNING by choice. The NX2 turbo can go up to 520 HP with a built engine. With higher boost you will need upgraded charge pipes with tbolt clamps to hold the higher boost pressures.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either tuning service should work fine. Ryan has been tuning since the Mazdaspeed 3 days. Both should be able to crank out a high horsepower EcoBoost with the right supporting mods. I simply went with PDTUNING by choice. The NX2 turbo can go up to 520 HP with a built engine. With higher boost you will need upgraded charge pipes with tbolt clamps to hold the higher boost pressures.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have been bone stock for 5 years and finally started to add the supporting bolt-on mods and ordered the Bama Rev-X tuner by SCT with 2 custom tunes and free revisions for life. It was only 430 bucks for the tuner and custom tunes. This should provide some modest/reliable gains with the 91 performance tune and also comes with a more aggressive 93 race tune.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have been bone stock for 5 years and finally started to add the supporting bolt-on mods and ordered the Bama Rev-X tuner by SCT with 2 custom tunes and free revisions for life. It was only 430 bucks for the tuner and custom tunes. This should provide some modest/reliable gains with the 91 performance tune and also comes with a more aggressive 93 race tune.

I went with BAMA for a year and a half and the car made some power but... Once you go big turbo BAMA will no longer provide tunes. It's a good value if you are light on mods but anything like turbo, wastegate and cam upgrades will require a pro tune.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I went with BAMA for a year and a half and the car made some power but... Once you go big turbo BAMA will no longer provide tunes. It's a good value if you are light on mods but anything like turbo, wastegate and cam upgrades will require a pro tune.
That is correct. I'm going with basic bolt on mods myself and don't plan on going big Turbo, cams, etc. It's a great value for basic mods like Intercooler, catted downpipe, cat-back, etc but as you say they only support light mods.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m using Burger tuning JB4, FBO and have the option of 91,93, or e30 tune. Easy install , Ability to change tunes through the Bluetooth on my phone, and can run logs and uses factory safe guards.Burger got their start tuning BMWs and now have tuners for Infiniti models, Ford ecos, including trucks and Hyundai Stingers plus can be removed with no trace..Worth checking out.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I chose PD. Ryan's a pretty top bloke. I have the life time tune. I esp like the occasional health check that he requests as the seasons change. Even did a dialed down tune for the wife that can be switched on the fly from the steering wheel. For a laugh I bought a burble tune add on. Asked for mild not wild and to be honest im actually impressed its almost perfect a few more tweeks and I actually don't see why it has so much hate.

PD for the win.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have yet to flash the ECU and still need to add the cvf catted dp and airaid intake tube before flashing. I plan on running the Bama 91 performance tune with 93 Octane to stay on the safe side. I don't expect huge gains with the Bama 91 tune alone. The supporting bolt-ons together with the tune should result in a respectable bump in performance while maintaining reliability.

I understand that once I flash the ECU I will more than likely be held responsible for an engine failure which is why I waited 5 years before buying a tuner.

Question for the gurus. Is it OK to run all these bolt-ons together without the tune? These are all OEM direct replacements, Individually these don't require a tune so I am wondering if together they add up to tune recommended or required?

1.> Airaid intake tube, stock airbox, K&N drop in filter
2.> cvf catted downpipe 3 inch to OEM 2.25 connector
3.> mbrp race cat-back 3 inch with OEM 2.25 connector
4.> cpe street Intercooler with Injen charge pipes

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have yet to flash the ECU and still need to add the cvf catted dp and airaid intake tube before flashing. I plan on running the Bama 91 performance tune with 93 Octane to stay on the safe side. I don't expect huge gains with the Bama 91 tune alone. The supporting bolt-ons together with the tune should result in a respectable bump in performance while maintaining reliability.

I understand that once I flash the ECU I will more than likely be held responsible for an engine failure which is why I waited 5 years before buying a tuner.

Question for the gurus. Is it OK to run all these bolt-ons together without the tune? These are all OEM direct replacements, Individually these don't require a tune so I am wondering if together they add up to tune recommended or required?

4.> cpe- street IC with charge pipes
I ran my car with a C&L intake, BBK catted downpipe, BBK tb, and MBRP exhaust with no tune and the car ran fine. These cars are a little more tolerant of parts upgrades then the GT models are.

·
Registered
185 Posts

4.> cpe street Intercooler with Injen charge pipes

Yes, you'll be fine. (see my signature for my mods) The last mod I did was the downpipe and the turbo spools much quicker than stock and I've checked for codes with my Bluedriver and I'm all clear. Tune is soon, right after tires.

Reactions: magneto
1 - 13 of 13 Posts