Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost Deep Impact Blue
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 with 95,000 miles has started to whistle very loud. I replaced the evap canister line that comes off the pcv. I have sprayed soapy water everywhere to no avail. It happens with, and without the ac on, so its not the pulley. I have checked all of the hose connections that l can. The car runs great otherwise, and no codes, or any idling issues are present. Any ideas? Kind of a last resort before taking it to Ford.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Look for any leakage or hair line cracks in the exhaust manifold or turbo housing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks for any leakage or hair line cracks in the exhaust manifold or turbo housing.
I will do that . Thanks. I also forgot to say that it is coming from the intake side, but I will check the turbo and exhaust manifold. My Guage shows no changes in the boost system when it happens. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I will do that . Thanks. I also forgot to say that it is coming from the intake side, but I will check the turbo and exhaust manifold. My Guage shows no changes in the boost system when it happens. 🤷‍♂️
The issue could be on the intake side, but the problem is more common on the exhaust side. And this is only one possibility, could be something unrelated. But this is the only cause I am familiar with!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I've checked the exhaust manifold and turbo housing for cracks, and from what I could see, there are no cracks. I'm wondering if it could possibly be a pulley? However, it doesn't sound like belt squeak. 🤔 I'm at a loss. Probably going to take it to Ford and see what they can find, hopefully it won't cost too much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update to my problem. I stopped by a shop for a quick diagnosis from the owner I know, who said it sounded like a pcv valve . I have a few questions about the pcv valve. Is there 1 or 2 pcv valves? How do I go about replacing it/them? Where can I get it/them from?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
1 outlet valve, under the intake manifold
1 inlet, behind the head

Also, you may want to check the condition of the hoses and fittings, located under the engine intake manifold, that runs from the engine block (PCV plate/one way/check valve) to your intake manifold. And the other one that runs from your fresh air intake, before your turbo, to the rear of your valve cover.

Reactions: 16ECOBOOST75

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Font Handwriting Motor vehicle Material property Gas
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim Gas

So, I got this part from Ford finally and I'm wondering if this is the one on the intake side? Do I have to remove the manifold to install it? I have not looked specifically for this part on the engine, so I can't remember if it is what I need to replace on the intake side. We are in the middle of pouring rain today, so I haven't been able to pop the hood to look. Anyhow, advice would be greatly appreciated 🙏. Thank you for being patient with my inexperience. I'm used to having a chiltons manual for my cars..lol

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
View attachment 41130 View attachment 41131

So, I got this part from Ford finally and I'm wondering if this is the one on the intake side? Do I have to remove the manifold to install it? I have not looked specifically for this part on the engine, so I can't remember if it is what I need to replace on the intake side. We are in the middle of pouring rain today, so I haven't been able to pop the hood to look. Anyhow, advice would be greatly appreciated 🙏. Thank you for being patient with my inexperience. I'm used to having a chiltons manual for my cars..lol
That fits under the intake manifold. The intake manifold comes off without to many problems, and opens up a generous work area.
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just another question I thought about. When I remove the manifold, is there a gasket that needs to be replaced? I know exhaust manifolds do, but I'm not familiar with this engine, and the internet is not very easy to find information on repairs, etc. for the 2.3.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was wondering if you have a video of the sound becouse I have faced the same issue.
Unfortunately I do not. But it sounded like air through a large straw. The fix is to replace the oil separator. The pcv valve is attached to it and it is located under the intake manifold. After I replaced it, I have no more noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately I do not. But it sounded like air through a large straw. The fix is to replace the oil separator. The pcv valve is attached to it and it is located under the intake manifold. After I replaced it, I have no more noise.
Thanks for the reply, could you please check below video of my car and tell me if it sounds the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the reply, could you please check below video of my car and tell me if it sounds the same.
Yep. That's exactly what it sounded like. I have pictures of the part and ford part number posted in this thread. Just replace or have it replaced and you shouldn't have any more whistling

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Noticed mine is starting to whistle now, plus I have continues positive crankcase pressure, which may or may not be related!??
Has anyone compared any of the aftermarket to oem "Oil Separator"?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts