Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 with 95,000 miles has started to whistle very loud. I replaced the evap canister line that comes off the pcv. I have sprayed soapy water everywhere to no avail. It happens with, and without the ac on, so its not the pulley. I have checked all of the hose connections that l can. The car runs great otherwise, and no codes, or any idling issues are present. Any ideas? Kind of a last resort before taking it to Ford.
Yep. That's exactly what it sounded like. I have pictures of the part and ford part number posted in this thread. Just replace or have it replaced and you shouldn't have any more whistling
Hello guys, i have the same whistle issue on my Ford, just need to replace the oll separator?, Thats the only part that you bought?. I am a few clicks away to order it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I bought the oil separator, new from the ford dealer and the problem was not solved !!!! :( anyone with an opinion.
I found blockage, on the backside of the check valve or what was once called the, one way valve (located on the engine block, under the intake manifold).
Light Product Gas Auto part Automotive tire

Instead of replacing it, I gutted it (via YouTube), and installed a check valve (recommended by fellow forum members).
Cable Auto part Plastic Electric blue Electronics accessory

I also had my catch can plumbed wrong! And wasn't getting enough clean/cool air through the PCV inlet, located in the valve cover at the rear of the head.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Hello guys, i have the same whistle issue on my Ford, just need to replace the oll separator?, Thats the only part that you bought?. I am a few clicks away to order it.
Thanks
There are a few other options then the OEM plate/check valve.
Rectangle World Creative arts Art Font

Several of our forum members have done a lot of research on the topic. Search the forum for; oil separator, PCV, check valve, and a lot of good information will pop up!

Reactions: Freddycis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately I do not. But it sounded like air through a large straw. The fix is to replace the oil separator. The pcv valve is attached to it and it is located under the intake manifold. After I replaced it, I have no more noise.
View attachment 42167
Several of our forum members have done a lot of research on the topic. Search the forum for; oil separator, PCV, check valve, and a lot of good information will pop up!
View attachment 42167
Where do you find that step by step document, can you please share the link,
cant find it o_O.
thank you

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
cant find it o_O.
thank you
Tune+ has a good "how to" video on YouTube! Just search for Ecoboost intake manifold or PCV engine plate/check valve.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,236 Posts
cant find it o_O.
thank you
This specific step by step is in the maintenance and repair manual

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost Deep Impact Blue
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Been a while since I posted, but at around 100,000 miles, the whistling stopped completely. 🤷‍♂️ don't know why or how, but it stopped...

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost Deep Impact Blue
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Been a while since I posted, but at around 100,000 miles, the whistling stopped completely. 🤷‍♂️ don't know why or how, but it stopped...
Let me back up....after I replaced the oil separator, it stopped, for awhile. Then, it came back. I just chalked it up to the second pcv valve replacement that I needed to do, that I thought was the problem. Other things in life came up, and I had to put that off...but, lo and behold, it just stopped one day. No driving changes, habits, settings, etc. No environmental changes, fuel changes either. So, I don't really have any answers for why it stopped. Maybe it was just a gremlin that moved on. Sorry for not posting, or being around much lately. I'm still a proud ecoboost owner of Mr Ed, and I will definitely check in more often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let me back up....after I replaced the oil separator, it stopped, for awhile. Then, it came back. I just chalked it up to the second pcv valve replacement that I needed to do, that I thought was the problem. Other things in life came up, and I had to put that off...but, lo and behold, it just stopped one day. No driving changes, habits, settings, etc. No environmental changes, fuel changes either. So, I don't really have any answers for why it stopped. Maybe it was just a gremlin that moved on. Sorry for not posting, or being around much lately. I'm still a proud ecoboost owner of Mr Ed, and I will definitely check in more often.
I am having the same issue with my car. 2016, ecoboost. I took it in to the dealership and they said it was my oil separator. However.... I do not have an oil separator? Not that I am seeing anyways. Noise sounds like a leaf blower, drivers side.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
They are HOPEFULLY referring to the PCV plate, that is fixed on the driverside of the engine block. That is the OEM version of an "oil separator". Many of us run an external aftermarket one, that basically attaches to said plate, but I don't see one in the pic.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts