Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I have a 2015 mustang ecoboost with 50,000 miles on it. I was leaving college today when all of a sudden a ton of white smoke and a burnt smell started coming out from the exhaust. checked oil. fine. checked coolant. fine. I was just wondering if this is caused from my bad purge valve. And I found out later my purge valve was going bad, After I got an appointment with my ford dealership since I have this grinding sound at 3k RPMs. I have the car parked. But I just want to know if this is from the purge valve because im finding that it could be from other things. Just need some input from somebody with more experience.

This timing couldn't be more awful. just got Coilovers and wheels that I can't even install yet :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
White smoke usually means coolant is being burned off, but it could just be moisture buildup in your exhaust. Check your coolant levels over the next couple of days and if you're getting misfires starting the car. Dealership can do a combustion leak test to see if there are combustion gasses making it into the cooling system indicating a failed head gasket.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
No coolant loss, correct oil level without contamination, both good signs! Do you have positive crankcase pressure, if so, check your PVC system.
Don't know much about the purge valve, hopefully another forum member can explain how they work and what happens when they fail!?

Reactions: Sparta and gatornek

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I second to monitor your coolant levels closely over the next couple of days. Is the startup rough? Like real rough or rougher than before? I'd invest in an OBD scanner and check for misfires on your cylinders. Purge valve issues that I've seen on this forum don't generally have a symptom of white smoke. If you can grab a video of the startup and host it on youtube, you can link it here and we can get a better sense for what your seeing/hearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No coolant loss, correct oil level without contamination, both good signs! Do you have positive crankcase pressure, if so, check your PVC system.
Don't know much about the purge valve, hopefully another forum member can explain how they work and what happens when they fail!?
talked to my Ford guy. It’s more than likely a head gasket issue. PVC valve so you’re right. It’s gonna have to be towed to the dealership. Good thing I have that warranty still

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
talked to my Ford guy. It’s more than likely a head gasket issue. PVC valve so you’re right. It’s gonna have to be towed to the dealership. Good thing I have that warranty still
The head gasket is usually the go-to culprit for white smoke out the tailpipe. If you have it covered under warranty, then you're all set. Otherwise, it'd be costing a pretty penny. Good luck. Feel free to keep us posted if you need more insight.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Glad you have a warranty! Coolant lose and head gasket usually go together. A combustion chamber inspection and compression test are usually the 1st step in troubleshooting. But, don't let them stop there, your problem can also be elsewhere.
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
34 Posts

SO Glad your warranty will cover it...
Doing a smol amount of lurking, it looks like you haven't modded your car yet. You may want to run your upgrade list past someone who knows about your warranty and what could void it.
The last thing you need is something breaking and the dealership saying "oh there are aftermarket mods here and here and here, your warranty can't cover this"...
Just thinking for any future problems.

My 8 year/75k extended warranty is what keeps me from slapping on a bigger turbo 😜
Though that could be swapped back to the factory one I guess if something breaks 🤔 lol

I did talk to my finance lady at the Fordship I was at as she just bought a Mustang GT and she said they don't "usually" care if there are mods on a car they are working on under warranty.
I wouldn't necessarily take her word for it though LOL. If it's running a fat turbo and non-stock block on rocket fuel I suppose any warranty would go out the window haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts