Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was car shopping, I had criterion for purchasing: 2 doors, 3 pedals, 400bhp. It was a long journey. I looked at a couple of Cadillacs, I had a thing for the 12 Boss 302 for a while, I was really interested in the Focus RS, and I like the looks of the new Dodge platform. My main criterion was fun to drive. After test driving a 15, I pulled the trigger on my car a week later. Why did you buy yours?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well I came from driving a big Dodge Ram 3500 megacab. The thing had 300k miles and with a broken ac. I have owned fast cars in the past including a 500whp Evo 8 and I just wanted something fast and comfortable at the same time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I was car shopping, I had criterion for purchasing: 2 doors, 3 pedals, 400bhp. It was a long journey. I looked at a couple of Cadillacs, I had a thing for the 12 Boss 302 for a while, I was really interested in the Focus RS, and I like the looks of the new Dodge platform. My main criterion was fun to drive. After test driving a 15, I pulled the trigger on my car a week later. Why did you buy yours?
Did you hop around the RS forums before the purchase? I wonder how active those guys are - especially now that Ford killed it off.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My last car was a 3 door Saturn SC2, bought in new in 99 and drove it almost 18 years and 237k miles. It was fun, not too costly, great mileage, and practical enough for a daily driver. I'd have bought another one if Saturn hadn't gone under. I wanted something else that was a good mix of fun and practical, and the best deal I could find was the EB Mustang. It's definitely a big step closer to the fun side than the Saturn, but still practical enough that I don't feel I bought a pure race car with no function but going fast and looking good.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Did you hop around the RS forums before the purchase? I wonder how active those guys are - especially now that Ford killed it off."

Yes, extensively. I have been planning / looking for the last 3 years. As much as I admire the Focus RS (I had planned to buy an 18 in April of 19), I couldn't get over the 4 door hatchback. I liked everything else about it, as it is a 4 season car. I am excited about the looks of the Mustang. Every time I look at the car it does it for me. As the Mustang is priced lower than the RS and ADM vs Serious discount, I was able to swing the Mustang this year. Very pleased with my decision.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
About 8 mos. ago I stared getting an itch for something sporty but not too costly. The wife and agreed long time ago that we would get a Corvette after the kids are moved out, but since the youngest is 7, that's going to be a bit down the line. When I first approached my wife about the idea, she said no way. I test drove a few Mustangs at the local dealership anyway, and asked about it a few more times, always getting the answer of no way. About 4 mos. ago, just prior to my 51st birthday, I decided to give it one last go, particularly because I had 2 stangs lined up, the convertible EB I'm driving now, and a base GT 40 miles south, both in yellow. I think you already know her final answer. :) Happy Birthday to me! LOL

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've had 4 mustangs thus far, two currently are the 16 EB Prem, and an 05 GT Convert (Convert is a garage queen). Prior to my EB Mustang, I had an 08 Malibu LTZ v6 with 146K miles on it. I had planned on keeping that car forever. It's mechanics were all 100%, even a new transmission (courtesy of GM). The car looked immaculate inside and out. Sadly she got totaled... We went about 4 months with just my wife's Honda Fit and the garage queen, but figured it was time to replace the Malibu.

It was a toss up between a Mercedes C300, CLA250, GT or EB. I thought the EB was going to be fun due to the low end torque... I love the car... I enjoyed modding it, I take it for what it is, and what it isn't, and all the quirks, and shortcomings. The Merc's were tempting, but would be lease if I did them.

I got the Silver EB Premium w/ Pony Package for $7500 off of MSRP. I like the car, but wished I had got the GT instead. The thought is crossing my mind to take the 05 Convert & the EB and trade them towards one vehicle that makes more sense to own. The older my 05 gets, the more irrelevant it's becoming. It was the first year of the retro design, and in it's day the was an amazing Mustang. But sadly, it's book value has tanked, and in reality, it's only 300 HP.... when these days, Genesis is about to launch a $35 G70 with 360 HP.

Ultimately, I'd like a Porsche 917, but instead of my wife saying no way, It's me saying no way. Yes, I'm a car guy, but I like putting money in my retirement accounts, not dealership hands. The EB is my "poor mans Porsche" which is why I went with the Magnaflow Comp cat-back... :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a 2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost last month because I wanted to get rid of the convertible 2011 Mustang I had. It was a great car but, I started to worry about problems with the convertible top and I was catching a lot of flack, believe it or not, about getting too much sun and getting skin cancer. Yes, crazy I know but, true. So, I had 75,000 miles on the V6 2011 convertible. No problems and ran great. I got $9500 trade in value when trading for this 2018 Mustang Ecoboost. With a $38,400 sticker price on the Ecoboost, I ended up paying $26,000 out the door and felt pretty good about the upgrade. Yes, I wanted the GT only for the sound. Not the power, only the exhaust sound but, I wasn’t willing to pay $5000 to $8000 more for better sound. And then getting about 10 mpg less with the GT. So, I convinced myself that the Ecoboost is the exact same car as the GT except for the engine. So, I have a brand new Mustang Ecoboost!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I liked that Ford came out with a car with a similar displacement to my 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with a turbo and it was a throwback to the SVO
20180814_155830.jpg
. Power when you need it and fuel economy when you don't. My Thunderbird still gets 30+ mpg on the highway and my Mustang exceeds that by a little. The fun factor of the car sold me.

·
Super Moderator
5,969 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
That is one awesome bird. Are you the original owner? How many miles? (Sorry, not hijacking the thread). I've had 4 mustangs and 2 birds. A 93 5.0 T-Bird and a 96 4.6 T-Bird.
Loved the 5.0 bird...
I am the 2nd owner, I had an 87 Turbo coupe and my ex made me get rid of it. So, when I divorced, I began the search and found this one. 156k miles and running strong!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a 2001 Bullitt and had a 2014 v6 Mustang. The Mustang got badly hail damaged and I ended up getting a 2017 v6 Camaro. I had the Camaro less than 10 months. I was PO'ed when having trouble with the car, and even more unhappy with the dealership, so I took it down to a Ford dealership and traded it in for my 2017 Ecoboost Mustang. I never really even considered any other car. Sometimes I do crazy things when I'm pi$$ed. ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had a 1980 Triumph TR8 for four years and eventually sold it (2009) because it still wasn't practical to have that type of toy when the kids were relatively young. I spent many a Saturday taking each of the three out in turn for a ride. I started looking at various options, one being a Studebaker Daytona hardtop, a Corvair (preferably a second generation convertible) or, after more than several fruitless years, I gradually started looking at British cars again, including MGBs and Minis (the latter, having had two of when I was younger). Eventually after doing some test drives of old stuff (and knocking the sheen off 20+ year old memories) I decided that I'd rather buy something new and enjoy it everyday. This started the process of kicking around replacing our 2010 Sonata with something sporty, not necessarily "right now" but when the Sonata was due for replacement. A few around me said why not wait until retirement (hopefully about 4 years now) and then whatever I bought wouldn't be getting the commuting miles put on it and could probably wait out the snow in the garage. I started out between Mustang and Challenger, the latter for the larger back seat for the remaining kid at home and also considered BMW 2 Series and Cadillac ATS, the last two not really giving me everything I wanted at a price point I liked. Reading about the rust issues Challenger's apparently have in the dog leg ahead of the rear wheel turned me off them, very late in the decision process. On top of that, my wife suggested she wouldn't mind a convertible, so it was back to a Mustang. Again, I was going to wait but family matters caused me to pull the trigger. The first was that my eldest brother, now 70, was diagnosed with Parkinson's nearly two years ago and my mother, otherwise relatively healthy and still sharp at 93, was found to have a brain tumour in late March, which, after she chose to not treat it, took her in about 8 weeks. I decided, what am I waiting for? And I'm buying this for me, not to cart my friends around in. I could have easily bought a GT, money was not the issue, but I still have a practical side and the fuel economy of the EB was attractive. I also have a pretty loaded car, being a Premium with the 201A package and Safe and Smart and the A10. As well, I spent money on a set of standard EB 17" rims for the winter rubber. Also, I've never really had a powerful car, so I figured that the 310 hp/350 torque was sufficient for me. It's a nice cruiser for an "old" guy like me. I suppose that I could have bought a lesser equipped GT coupe for the same money but I'm quite happy with my choice, just over a month in, especially driving home virtually every day with the top down.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I liked that Ford came out with a car with a similar displacement to my 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with a turbo and it was a throwback to the SVO View attachment 23961 . Power when you need it and fuel economy when you don't. My Thunderbird still gets 30+ mpg on the highway and my Mustang exceeds that by a little. The fun factor of the car sold me.
That turbo coupe is a sweet ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was having airbags replaced in my 07 GT. I started talking to a salesman while waiting for my car and he took me for a test drive. I have to admit, I didn't fall in love with this car and it was lacking the muscle car growl. This was on a Monday, I went back that Thursday and drove it home!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've owned lots of great cars over the years, but I'had never owned a Mustang. My favorite Mustang design since the original 60's Shelby and Boss Mustangs is the 2016. Due to a limited budget I was looking at buying as new of a used car as I could get, but it had to be fun to drive, be easily modifiable, get great gas mileage and had to be an automatic as parkinson's has made driving a stick way too difficult. I drove both a 5.0 and the EB and I liked the way the EB handled better than the GT...lighter on its feet, more eager to turn in, more neutral through the corners and lastly, better gas mileage. Having modified cars for over 40 years, I saw the potential with the EB to be able to customize it to suit my performance tastes and drive a fantastic looking car that is reliable, cheap to maintain, gets great gas mileage and will eventually be a monster performer to keep the smiles planted on this old man's face. Working on getting my Cobb stage 3 setup e-tuned by Adam right now. Plan on Ford Racing Suspension for Christmas and upgrading the turbo in the spring. I wont do any appearance mods and will keep the stock rims to keep it looking as stock as possible for the "sleeper effect" to keep the competition scratching their heads LOL.

·
Registered
5 Posts

About a year ago, I was happily driving a a Ford C-Max, which I loved and my spouse had a '13 FIAT 500, the automobile equivalent of a fun sized Snickers bar. My spouse's 60th birthday and our 30th anniversary were both rapidly approaching. My spouse had a red 5 speed '87 Mustang GT convertible when we met which was sold to help with a down payment on our first house. We nostalgically talked about it over dinner one night and the next thing I knew we were "just looking" at the Ford dealer. A few days later a loaded 2017 Ecoboost Premium Convertible in White Platinum with a six speed manual showed up on the dealers used inventory. It only had 1700 miles on it and after doing a Car Fax and a little research we found out it was owned by an 83 year old retired Ford Executive who lived in Baton Rouge, LA. We made a good deal and brought it home. It was love at first drive. Suddenly the C-Max, although a fine sutomobile, just wasn't cutting it for me. Jealous of my spouses Mustang? Me? Hell yes. A month later I bought a barely used (2300 miles) 2017 manual Ecoboost Premium Coupe in Lightning Blue. All was right with the world until about 3 months in, we ran into some serious Traction Control issues with the Blue one and after 4 months out of service Ford agreed to buy it back. It took nearly a year to resolve but we took delivery of my 2019 Ingot Silver with Showstopper Red interior Ecoboost Premium Pony coupe about 2 weeks ago. All is well in our driveway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Back 2104, I had Toyota FR-S, I like the car, it was fun to drive, but I wanted something with more power, so I looked around and came across the spec on the 2015 Mustang GT and I was hooked. bought my GT February 26, 2015, love the car; fast forward 3 years, and I was driving to work, and hit a deer in my daily driver( 2005 Dodge Durango), busted the bumper and grill, but there are so many other thing wrong with the old girl, it was time for a new used Daily Driver, wanted something under 30k miles, under $20 grand and something that got better then 12 MPG. As soon as saw Big Bird I knew it was the one for me, I wanted my GT to be yellow, but end up getting a Deep impact Blue because it had the Ceramic seat; you can't get them in the Yellow, I love this car, it's fun to drive, and get to drive it everyday.
MR8A6236 (2).JPG

·
Registered
427 Posts
Impulse.

1. Driving to Hyundai dealer to trade Acura TSX and (most likely) lease a Genesis G80.
2. Traffic jam.
3. Stopped off at Ford dealer.
4. Saw my car.
5. Signed purchase agreement.
6. Told wife :eek:
7. Still married.

I have to say, I never thought twice about a Mustang, until I noticed the S550 rolling around town. This design, especially the exterior, will go down in auto history as one of the best, IMO.

Many happy miles, folks!!

Matt

1 - 20 of 82 Posts