Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I would say the only thing thats a let down on the eco is the exhaust. Very happy with it.
I was just talking to a friend today, and told him the same thing... Love everything about the EB, but it is too quiet stock.
Have you added an exhaust on yours yet?

I am thinking of getting the Roush axle-back, purely for sound, and easy to fit yourself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For me, it will be the 4th Mustang added to the current household, (9th Mustang to date) and I wanted to tinker with a 4 cylinder Turbo car that could lend itself well to Auto-X and roadcourse activities from time to time. Brute power wasn't really on the list of considerations as I have a blower swapped 09 GT500 to scratch that itch, and the performance of the EB is finally at a decent spot for an entry level Mustang. Having started with 4 cylinder Foxes way back, and flogged the XR4Ti and Thunderbird Turbo Coupe over the years, the modern 2.3L Turbo excellent compared to the old 2.3L Lima efforts. We still have a Gen 1 Coyote, and while the Gen 3 is great, getting a new one didn't really interest me because it's not really a different enough experience.

The new Bullitt was interesting until I noticed it's basically a bunch of comfort options, which is too bad, as I really liked the 01 and 08 versions. Oddly my final decision round was down to the deeply discounted, -20% off sticker, '17 GT350 (of which there are at least 20 in my local area) and the EB PP. Considering this purchase would be an all weather car, the lack of easy winter tire, and the personal disgust I would have for winter flogging a GT350, the EB won out.

Finding a manual to test was impossible, so I put the spurs to a 10A car they had on the lot, it worked very well, and the power is adequate. I feel the 10A is the better transmission in Race mode, but due to stubbornness I elected for a MT82 equipped Performance Pack car. This of course meant a factory order, which has been in since the 11th of September, here's to hoping I see I new car by Christmas. I do already have new Pirelli studded tires on winter wheels ready for it's arrival, so it will be curious to see if the first test runs is done on PP Pirellis, or the clickety-clack of studs.

·
Registered
858 Posts
For me, it will be the 4th Mustang added to the current household, (9th Mustang to date) and I wanted to tinker with a 4 cylinder Turbo car that could lend itself well to Auto-X and roadcourse activities from time to time. Brute power wasn't really on the list of considerations as I have a blower swapped 09 GT500 to scratch that itch, and the performance of the EB is finally at a decent spot for an entry level Mustang. Having started with 4 cylinder Foxes way back, and flogged the XR4Ti and Thunderbird Turbo Coupe over the years, the modern 2.3L Turbo excellent compared to the old 2.3L Lima efforts. We still have a Gen 1 Coyote, and while the Gen 3 is great, getting a new one didn't really interest me because it's not really a different enough experience.

The new Bullitt was interesting until I noticed it's basically a bunch of comfort options, which is too bad, as I really liked the 01 and 08 versions. Oddly my final decision round was down to the deeply discounted, -20% off sticker, '17 GT350 (of which there are at least 20 in my local area) and the EB PP. Considering this purchase would be an all weather car, the lack of easy winter tire, and the personal disgust I would have for winter flogging a GT350, the EB won out.

Finding a manual to test was impossible, so I put the spurs to a 10A car they had on the lot, it worked very well, and the power is adequate. I feel the 10A is the better transmission in Race mode, but due to stubbornness I elected for a MT82 equipped Performance Pack car. This of course meant a factory order, which has been in since the 11th of September, here's to hoping I see I new car by Christmas. I do already have new Pirelli studded tires on winter wheels ready for it's arrival, so it will be curious to see if the first test runs is done on PP Pirellis, or the clickety-clack of studs.
Still enjoying my 88 Turbo Coupe along with the Ecoboost.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I was just talking to a friend today, and told him the same thing... Love everything about the EB, but it is too quiet stock.
Have you added an exhaust on yours yet?

I am thinking of getting the Roush axle-back, purely for sound, and easy to fit yourself.
No have you seen the price of them, stupidly expensive. I'd go custom for the price some places want for axle back alone.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I
No have you seen the price of them, stupidly expensive. I'd go custom for the price some places want for axle back alone.
I added one to mine for flow and the stock one sounded like a Camry. Not loud and raspy just a nice purr at idle. No drone when cruising but let's you know it's there on acceleration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was looking for reasonably-priced used convertibles for over a year. I had to get rid of my last convertible (2013 Audi A5) in 2016 because I switched jobs and had a much longer commute and wanted something cheaper and 4WD. But after being without a convertible for over a year, I wanted to get something reasonable and add a car for fun. I looked at lots of used cars to find the best value - Infiniti G37 convertibles (way too many mechanical issues), BMW 3 series (too old in my price range), Cadillac XLR (too old and too many issues) and 2002-2005 Thunderbirds (I always liked them but my wife HATED them and said it was an old man's car). Once I started looking at used Mustangs I couldn't believe the features you got for the money and how much fun they were to drive. Decided on a 2017 White / Black with 29K miles. Had a few minor cosmetic issues repaired and really love the car. My wife can't believe that we didn't look at Mustangs sooner. Enjoying every minute of it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I looked at many different options; rods, muscle cars, pro touring. Any example worth having was always above what I thought was a generous budget. There was always the chance of buying a cobbled together mess also. There would be no other brand other than Ford in my garage and the S550 fit my bill. I took notice of the difference in the under hood room between the GT and the Ecoboost. Knowing exactly how Robslob drives, I can foresee mechanical issues in the future. Screw the 150 nearly unusable horsepower difference...Give me the room!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was looking for reasonably-priced used convertibles for over a year. I had to get rid of my last convertible (2013 Audi A5) in 2016 because I switched jobs and had a much longer commute and wanted something cheaper and 4WD. But after being without a convertible for over a year, I wanted to get something reasonable and add a car for fun. I looked at lots of used cars to find the best value - Infiniti G37 convertibles (way too many mechanical issues), BMW 3 series (too old in my price range), Cadillac XLR (too old and too many issues) and 2002-2005 Thunderbirds (I always liked them but my wife HATED them and said it was an old man's car). Once I started looking at used Mustangs I couldn't believe the features you got for the money and how much fun they were to drive. Decided on a 2017 White / Black with 29K miles. Had a few minor cosmetic issues repaired and really love the car. My wife can't believe that we didn't look at Mustangs sooner. Enjoying every minute of it!
Same here there is no better valued convertible out there. And it’s way more fun than any of those other cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m from the Detroit area. I have always loved muscle cars but never owned one. I was reading in Car & Driver about the 2018 and the changes they made with more torque and the hp the ecoStang put out. I was blown away. Cars and especially the ecoboost platform have come a long way since the classic muscle cars. I decided to rent one for a day. When I went to pick it up the rental guy asked if I wanted a GT? I said no, I want to drive one I can afford. I had a new white 10 speed auto for the weekend. Brought it home, had the kids and the wife in it. I was sold. I contacted a Buddy from high school that works on the line in Flat Rock, Mi for a friend and family discount. I still couldn’t make the #’s work. I live in California and the dealers do not want to help you out with the discounts. So I settled for a 2015 and have never looked back. Great car! I have put a K&N filter, my own Catback with magnaflow exhaust and this weekend added the FP strut tower package. I will tune it next and keep going. Awesome car to modify and it is quick! I have a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. It is a practical car made for this time. A 4 cylinder with more power than older Mustangs and a lot of current cars! Biggest fun factor is they are not just a boring car like so many others on the road! Thank you to Ford for building an awesome car! Rock on!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Reinstalled my Spectre CAI and tuned the car back to Cobb Stage 1 91 Octane. Decided to not sell those 2 items.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It just keeps getting better for me. 6500 miles, the car is performing beyond expectation. Limited opportunity to let it rip around here. This is the most fun I have had with a car.
Same here... I keep driving, smiling, and hoping for opportunities to get into it a little (well maybe more than a little <grin>), but yeah, so love this car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
In 2005 the '98 Mustang blew a head gasket again and well my two oldest were about to drive. My wife didn't want them sneaking the Mustang out. Come on, we all did it as teenagers! So I fixed it and sold the stang. I dreaded buying a four door '05 Accord, but I did find one with a 5 speed. So I would make due for a few years till the two went off to college. So I thought. Well the car had zero problems and as time went on (12 years), it just kept on running, until this year. Not really the year as this year my youngest is 17! My dreams of a GT just vanished. Well so I went to the Ford dealership to look for an anything '18 as I knew they would be ready to deal as the '19's just came out. Found a new GT for 28k,I almost did it. But I live by the motto "Happy wife, happy life", for 33 years now.. I kept looking around the lot and found a new '18 Mustang ecoboost for 20k. I bought it, and love it. The wife not so much, but she is cool with it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had never had a boosted car before and wanted to see what could be done with one. Not going to lie but the idea of a 4banger besting the V8's sounded fun. Can't beat them in 1/4 mile but I have hella fun stoplight to stoplight. I figured out a long time ago I would never be the fastest V8 around but who says I can't be fastest I4 around.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Likely won't be the fastest I4 either. The 2.4 I4 Mopar put in SRT4s and PT Cruiser GTs have been built to in excess of 900HP.

Dave

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve been a huge Mustang fan since I first clapped eyes on one back in 2002 on a trip to the States. 11 years later, I moved permanently to the US and bought a 2006 V6. Yep, it had the “wrong” engine, but I was finding my way over here, my wife was pregnant at the time, and compromised had to be made. I bloody loved that car for 5 years. Every time I started it up, it made me smile.
Then it came time to change. Originally, I was going to go for a 2013/14 V6. I loved that shape. The S550 didn’t really grab me. I just couldn’t find a decent V6 with a manual box. I started to see newer models with low mileage that I could afford. I went to look at 2017 Ecoboost with less than 10k on the clock. It was sold by the time I arrived at the dealer, but they let me take it fir a spin. I was hooked. It was such a better car than my old ‘stang in every way. And the styling that originally didn’t grab me was growing on me rapidly. I eventually picked up a 2018 with less than 10k and I couldn’t be happier.
Why did I buy the Ecoboost over the V8. Well, growing up in the UK, all my engines were small 4 cylinders that were tuned, in the early days with twin carbs, and then with turbos. I love the performance and fun factor of a turbo. In the US, small turbos seem to be looked down on. Not the case back home. Plus it’s my daily driver. It’s a commuter that doubles as a fun wagon at the weekends. It ticks all the boxes for me. It also has the added advantage of lighter weight, and therefore better handling than the V8. I’ve always got my fun from taking a car in the twisties rather than flat out speed in a straight line. Would I love a v8? Absolutely. The sound is hypnotic (it why I didn’t even test one in case I became hooked), but when Ford produced the V6, I felt that was for folk on a budget. It was a watered down V8. The Ecoboost clearly isn’t like that. It’s a genuine alternative to a V8 (I mean you can speck them to cost more than a V8). The power delivery is toatally different, the sound is completely different, the road manners are completely different, it really is a different car, just in the same body shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
Likely won't be the fastest I4 either. The 2.4 I4 Mopar put in SRT4s and PT Cruiser GTs have been built to in excess of 900HP.

Dave
But, those are not near as sexy as a Mustang.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Dave
Always going to be someone bigger and badder than me but not many around here build 4bangers

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I've been wanting a fast Mustang forever but the wife wanted a new F150.
The Ecoboost offered a way to have both.
The truck was bought as a new 2017 v8 4x4 and had a 13k discount due to being last years model and the Ecoboost was 20k less than the GT.
Upgraded the speakers, added amps and a subwoofer in both vehicles and put a ford tune with stage 2 bolt-ons on the Mustang

Previous pair was a 2012 Fusion 3.0l AWD and a 2013 F150 4x2 3.7l v6.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 82 Posts