Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had been driving a 2006 GT for 9 years with a MT. Now at 72 years of age wanted to get an automatic. I thought I wanted another GT (3-4 years old) but needed a rental car in late May this year and got "stuck" with a 2018 Ecoboost Mustang. I was so surprised at the performance that I decided I had no need for a GT. Found a 2017 with 23K miles on it and bought it in early June. To me it feels more like a sports car than a raw muscle car and that is fine. I don't go to the track so the only time I can really use the power is accelerating onto freeways. I do miss the V8 exhaust note but see no reason for anyone to buy a GT as a daily driver -- you can't utilize the GT power, gas mileage is much lower, the GT costs at least $5K more, and the Ecoboost feels very nimble and sporty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got the EB because it's the best bang for buck vehicle performance vs price I could find. I got a used base model M6 for 16k out the door.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got mine after my 2006 PT Cruiser was totaled by a lady texting in her 2018 Cadillac SRX. One second I'm going down the road, next, well, it was a few minutes (like 30) before I realized what happened. Problem was we by cars, my wife and I, on a rotational basis. Hers was just replaced last year, mine was due once hers was paid off. My PT, although 12 years old was like new in all aspects, and had been paid off long ago. Oh well. I've been a Mustang fan since I could first drive. My first 4 cars were Mustangs. I grew up when muscle cars were nothing more then used cars on the cheap so we got to enjoy and use and abuse them. Not so much. My last two Mustangs were garage queens, only taken out for show (and they did well, by the way) But not everyday drivers. So I went on line with the $ amount we could afford and saw what popped up. One was the car I bought. Used, yes, but with under 16K miles on it, not bad for a 16 model. Love it. Fun car. Nice to have on I can drive in the rain
frankinshelby2.1 small.jpg
70stangsmall.jpg
ponyno8 3.jpg
and not have to detail up for shows!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I had been driving a 2006 GT for 9 years with a MT. Now at 72 years of age wanted to get an automatic. I thought I wanted another GT (3-4 years old) but needed a rental car in late May this year and got "stuck" with a 2018 Ecoboost Mustang. I was so surprised at the performance that I decided I had no need for a GT. Found a 2017 with 23K miles on it and bought it in early June. To me it feels more like a sports car than a raw muscle car and that is fine. I don't go to the track so the only time I can really use the power is accelerating onto freeways. I do miss the V8 exhaust note but see no reason for anyone to buy a GT as a daily driver -- you can't utilize the GT power, gas mileage is much lower, the GT costs at least $5K more, and the Ecoboost feels very nimble and sporty.
72? You give me hope for the future. I am middle aged, if I live to be 112. Get a Cobb cat back and you won't miss the GT noise anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually bought this car for my son who started bugging me for a Mustang when he was 15. After a couple of years in his sister's old 2007 F150, I decided to let him join the Mustang club. I started by looking at used GTs, but after a test drive I thought better of turning him loose with a 460HP beast that seemed well beyond his experience level. Remembering my 2nd Mustang (1984 SVO) I thought that the 2.3 turbo was a better choice and opted for the Performance Package because like my old SVO it had the better suspension, wheels, tires, and brakes. And as a bonus, I got one with the Active Exhaust because I liked the look and figured that it would be one less thing to change later. What I didn't do, was test drive one.

Because I can't really leave cars alone, I went ahead and ordered an upgraded intercooler and piping, CAI, and catted downpipe and a COBB Accessport as well as a tune from TunePlus.

So far everything is installed except the tune, and even though I doubt seriously that it makes any difference, I installed a TB spacer as well. Subsequent test drives have showed me that this most certainly is NOT even remotely similar to my old SVO. It feels like it is easily a low 5 second 0-60 car, and the midrange pull on it reminds me of my old Fox Body that ran high 12-low 13s at 108 on radials. In short, I seriously underestimated this car, and a large part of me wants to buy a second one for myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been GM all my driving life, my last one was a 2001 Corvette 6 speed that I owned 12 years, at the end it had a build engine to 547 hp at the crankshaft, upgraded suspension, 4 point roll bar welded to the frame, 373 diff and the list goes on and on. with all the upgrades I got 32mpg at 70 mph. I could drive this car with comfort on long trips take it to car shows, take it to Road Atlanta and run the hell out of it, for those who have been to Road Atlanta for track days my best time was a 138.7 on street tires.
Really enjoyed that car but 4 years ago at 69 year old and some weight gain it got harder and harder to get in and out of, I almost hung a big rope from the ceiling my garage at least I could get out of easier. Well it hurt but It was time for a change and I knew I had to get something fun to replace it, so I sold the Vette and got a 32 Ford roadster hot rod, fenderless, 302 Ford engine with a c4 trans and it sure was a good replacement for the Vette. In the back of my mind I wanted another C5 Vette 6 speed and can get a low mileage one for 17k to 20k, but still can get in it, and its has old technology compared to newer cars.
I decided I need a needed newer car with a 6 speed (very time a think I'm to old to shift gears I find I'm not) Vettes are out of my price range and still can't get in and out, so started looking at Pony Cars, wanted used from 15 to 20k, never liked the look of Camaro's, Dodge Challenger look good but they are straight-line car for the drag strip, Mustang best looking, started looking which model I wanted, after a lot of research the ecoboost kept showing up to be the best pang the buck, further research I wanted performance package, 6 speed, magnetic and found what I wanted looking at the internet for hours. I went to look at it to see if It was a good fit for me, it was easy getting in and out, test drive going into around curves fast was excellent, It had enough power to make anyone happy, got to love the backup screen, its was just as much fun as my Vette to drive. The salesman didn't know that I was not going home without it, got a good deal on it and told the salesman you better put in it today, today being a Sunday, because if I go home
without it I may rethink my purchase, he did and would do my credit Monday. I was just so excited and wanted the car now and I'm glad I let my big V8 ego go away. This mustang Is a hoot to drive, I ordered about $500 worth of preformance mods the first week and I would like to take it back to the track but at those type speeds I think the link between my brain to my feet gas and brake pedals has gotten slow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab w/4.7l and manual trans was just wore out after 365000 miles on it. My gal said we should maybe look at something used from Enterprise Rental Sales. We looked at everything they had... but JUST COULDN'T GET PAST THAT RED CONVERTIBLE MUSTANG. We chose the EcoBoost Premium Convertible and had it shipped from Reseda, CA.
Screenshot_20180807-144542_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first new car was a 1972 Mustang Mach1 and I loved it.. It took me thru all of my service years and hated to give up for kids but now I have decided that I want to check out of this world with a Mustang and the new ones have more power and are even more fun to drive with all the bells and whistles.. I must say I have found these way to hard to speed in without knowing it..I wish I could drive it year around but dont want to use it in the snow and ice of Montana

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am the 2nd owner, I had an 87 Turbo coupe and my ex made me get rid of it. So, when I divorced, I began the search and found this one. 156k miles and running strong!
Ex’ing the ex earlier would have saved the ‘Bird! 😂

·
Registered
24 Posts
With Ford making RHD S550 available, the Mustang was going to be high on my hit list. The announcement of the EcoBoost nudged things along, as we'd had turbo Fords (& a Volvo when owned by Ford) and when we finally saw the in the flesh the deal was done. Bonus when our 2016 Thunder Blue order, turned into one of the first 2017 Lightening Blue car in the country.
Following the global community and modding the car with Cobb gear, will probably mean this one's a lifer.(y)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I needed a new DD. I wanted something fun with a manual transmission and a good mileage. I liked the styling of the Mustang and the ability to tune it increased the fun factor for me.

Ended up with a great deal on a new 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Impulse.

1. Driving to Hyundai dealer to trade Acura TSX and (most likely) lease a Genesis G80.
2. Traffic jam.
3. Stopped off at Ford dealer.
4. Saw my car.
5. Signed purchase agreement.
6. Told wife :eek:
7. Still married.

I have to say, I never thought twice about a Mustang, until I noticed the S550 rolling around town. This design, especially the exterior, will go down in auto history as one of the best, IMO.

Many happy miles, folks!!

Matt
That cracked me up :) Love my EB to

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
I was hooked on the ecoboost as soon as I heard about them. I was really close to buying a fiesta or focus st and then I heard about the ecoboost. Well had the first 6 speed eco in the pacific northwest, 10 months after that I traded it in on a premium eco. I kept that one for I think 16 months at most, life changes and now have a 18 f150. I the last 3 years between me and the wife we have had 2 fiesta st's a focus RS, rav4, hyundia elentra N-line, ford ecosport, a f150 5.0, and current dd's are my 18 f150 and her tuscon nite edition. I have a 93 ssp notchback mustang to play with currently. But for some reason I miss my ecoboost mustang. I don't know why but it was a blast to drive and very easy to modify. I am always watching for a deal on a used one but am very specific on which one I want and finding that is hard. So eventually a new one will apear i'm sure but it just depends on what happens with the new Bronco.
They are fun cars and like I said I miss mine but life changes and I had to move on. Soon I will have another I hope

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't bought an MEB (yet), though it is getting higher up my list, such as it is! :p

Getting ready to buy a new(ish) DD. A few must haves:
  • Manual Trans
  • Convertible
  • Rear wheel drive
  • Good MPG ( I drive 85 miles round trip for work)
  • Dependable
  • Comfortable
I've been a Miata guy for a lotta years, and love the new ND, especially w/ 181 HP. The little car is amazing...but damn, is it tiny. Even more so today, in our truck-and-SUV crazed society. Which brought me to the MEB. Love the look, and although it (obviously) doesn't sound like a V8, it still sounds decent. Much safer than the Miata, and roomier too.

Don't like the Camaro, and there's not much more in the category that appeals to me. When the time comes, I'll find a year old model (I rarely buy brand new), and it's looking more and more like it'll be an MEB.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in need of a new daily driver. I had been driving a '93 Super Coupe for over 10 years and it had gotten horribly unreliable. It was spending more time broke and getting repaired than it was getting me back and forth to work. I loved that car, but it had a ton of miles on it (well over 200K), and I never knew when I pulled out of the driveway if it was going to get me to my destination or not. A race red 2016 GT had caught my eye on the local dealer's lot. I had stopped and looked at it, and even though it didn't punch all the buttons, it got my interest up and I started looking around. I determined the car needed to be a Performance Pack car (I wanted the big brakes, deeper gear and better suspension), and it also needed premium interior. It was going to be a DD, so I wanted comfortable seats and had grown accustomed to the leather seats in my 'bird. I didn't necessarily need a GT, but wasn't ruling ruling it out if I could get one for the price I was willing to pay. My 'bird ran ok considering it was 20+ years old (I had ported the heads when I had them off to do the head gaskets, ported the exhaust manifolds, and added a 5% jack shaft pulley) and I wasnt willing to take a step back in performance by going to a base V6 Mustang. After a lot of looking around online, I finally found a car that hit all the check boxes, but it was at a dealership a couple of hours away. We went to our local dealership to drop off the better half's Escape to have the door handle recall done and I was just browsing the parking lot when a salesman came out. We got to talking, I told him what I was looking for and had found at a different dealership. Pretty soon the sales manager was involved, a price was set, and they were on their way to go get that car for me.
July 3rd 2016 I picked the car up and havent regretted it a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first new car was a 1972 Mustang Mach1 and I loved it.. It took me thru all of my service years and hated to give up for kids but now I have decided that I want to check out of this world with a Mustang and the new ones have more power and are even more fun to drive with all the bells and whistles.. I must say I have found these way to hard to speed in without knowing it..I wish I could drive it year around but dont want to use it in the snow and ice of Montana
I meant its way to easy to speed without knowing it.. Our purchase came about after a ride in our 79 Corvette.. The wife hates the way the seat are with you almost laying backwards so I said well would you consider a newer Mustang.. The search was on and we looked on line for a week till we found what we wanted.. Had to have heated and cooled seats.. We bought the car and came home.. The wife drove it to work the next day and I said how did you like my car.. She informed me it was her car and I said fine but I want one so a week later we found one for me 200 miles away.. We bought it so now we are a two Mustang family.. They do get up and go just miss the V8 rumble but I drive the Corvette for that.
IMG_2566.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is my Ecoboost story. A year ago I was driving a 2015 Mazda 3 hatchback. Loved that car but I am not getting any younger. I decided that all of my kids are grown and no longer need a 4 door vehicle. So I was deciding on a Mustang and a BRZ/86. I ended up buying an 86. Mostly because it was a bucket list thing to have a tiny sports car during my lifetime. Plus this car had my attention since 2012 when it debuted. But I only kept it for 11 months. The ultra low seat height, the harsh racecar ride, and utterly gutlessness under 4500 rpm made me decide a change was needed. So when I decided that I could no longer endure these problems I knew either a Mustang or a Challenger was gonna be my next car. Drove the Challenger and wasn't happy. Drove a GT and an Ecoboost. Loved the GT. But considering that I do not like to spend much more than 30k for a car I was either gonna get a base GT or a well optioned Ecoboost. Plus the acceleration advantage of the GT was only gonna be "occasional" but the worse gas mileage was gonna be always the Ecoboost won out. The Ecoboost isn't that much slower than the GT. The only negative of the EB is it doesn't have that Coyote sound. The GT is a symphony of goodness. But at a cost. So my quiet EB is what made me happy and still does. After nearly 3 months I am not at all sorry that I did not get the GT. As a matter of fact if I had indeed opted for the GT I probably would have been sorry I didn't get the EB every time I have to get gas

Don

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is my Ecoboost story. A year ago I was driving a 2015 Mazda 3 hatchback. Loved that car but I am not getting any younger. I decided that all of my kids are grown and no longer need a 4 door vehicle. So I was deciding on a Mustang and a BRZ/86. I ended up buying an 86. Mostly because it was a bucket list thing to have a tiny sports car during my lifetime. Plus this car had my attention since 2012 when it debuted. But I only kept it for 11 months. The ultra low seat height, the harsh racecar ride, and utterly gutlessness under 4500 rpm made me decide a change was needed. So when I decided that I could no longer endure these problems I knew either a Mustang or a Challenger was gonna be my next car. Drove the Challenger and wasn't happy. Drove a GT and an Ecoboost. Loved the GT. But considering that I do not like to spend much more than 30k for a car I was either gonna get a base GT or a well optioned Ecoboost. Plus the acceleration advantage of the GT was only gonna be "occasional" but the worse gas mileage was gonna be always the Ecoboost won out. The Ecoboost isn't that much slower than the GT. The only negative of the EB is it doesn't have that Coyote sound. The GT is a symphony of goodness. But at a cost. So my quiet EB is what made me happy and still does. After nearly 3 months I am not at all sorry that I did not get the GT. As a matter of fact if I had indeed opted for the GT I probably would have been sorry I didn't get the EB every time I have to get gas

Don
The mileage of the EB vs the GT was a big selling point for me. The Mustang was purchased to be my DD and I had also moved a bit further away from work so my daily commute increased. The GT power and sound would have definitely been fun, but not worth it in my DD. I just did a 1200 mile trip in my EB. Constant cruising in the 80-85mph range with a fair share of spirited driving to pass people. Every fill-up was between 27-30mpg and it was fun to drive.

I am planning on a FP tune and bigger intercooler to bump the performance some.

It is kinda funny how we gauge what is a high performance car now. I am in my 40s and remember when the older 225hp mustangs were considered fast. Or when it was a really big deal that a car had over 300hp.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
The mileage of the EB vs the GT was a big selling point for me. The Mustang was purchased to be my DD and I had also moved a bit further away from work so my daily commute increased. The GT power and sound would have definitely been fun, but not worth it in my DD. I just did a 1200 mile trip in my EB. Constant cruising in the 80-85mph range with a fair share of spirited driving to pass people. Every fill-up was between 27-30mpg and it was fun to drive.

I am planning on a FP tune and bigger intercooler to bump the performance some.

It is kinda funny how we gauge what is a high performance car now. I am in my 40s and remember when the older 225hp mustangs were considered fast. Or when it was a really big deal that a car had over 300hp.....

I was really happy after a few tanks in my ecoboost. I average 27-28 with mixed driving, and on long trips with a lot of interstate driving average 31-32 pretty regularly. I was already used to running nothing but premium fuel as my t'bird had to have it, especially after I increased the boost a bit. And since it was getting 21-22 mpg, that extra 5-6 mpg was a nice bonus to go along with more power and better handling.

I just turned 50 this year, and I too can remember when the fox body GTs started making 225 hp and how that was such a big deal. Kids now want to rag on the ecoboost because it "only" makes 310 hp which makes it "not a real Mustang." They just prove how ignorant they are when they make statements like that.

I was going to put a GT350 style bumper on my car (it goes in to the shop next week to get the front bumper and all the passenger side front lights replaced after a run in with a deer), but after getting jerked around by the adjuster I have changed my mind. Now the plan is a FP tune, a CVF street intercooler, and maybe the FP axle back exhaust kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a '05 Cadillac CTS and a' 07 XLR. In late 2014 I knew that the technology was now about 10 to 12 years old in the CADS, parts for the XLR were going to get more expensive if I could get them and started looking for a replacement for both of them. Saw the review in Automobile and then sat in the convertible at the 2015 Cleveland Auto Show and was impressed with it. The Mustang was the closest to the CADS with a seating position that let me keep my elbows on the center console and door armrest with both hands on the steering wheel which was very important to me. Visited the local FORD dealership where I had bought my wife an Explorer; he gave me a great deal on the CADS as trade-ins; found a 2015 black convertible with the ceramic interior and 20" wheels for me. It is now 4 1/2 years later and I have driven 65,000 miles and have enjoyed every mile. The user control combination of switches, touchscreen and voice are outstanding. I continue to get complements on it's looks.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts