Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3T/6A with aftermarket PP.
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about the eventual upgrades I want to do to my eco. I already have a dual valve catch can and the Ford PP tune. but thats just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to stuff I want to change or modify. One of the most obvious upgrades is the intercooler. There are plenty of choices, many are stock location and require next to no modification, but some people are saying that you shouldn't use stock location aftermarket intercoolers. Why?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I was thinking about the eventual upgrades I want to do to my eco. I already have a dual valve catch can and the Ford PP tune. but thats just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to stuff I want to change or modify. One of the most obvious upgrades is the intercooler. There are plenty of choices, many are stock location and require next to no modification, but some people are saying that you shouldn't use stock location aftermarket intercoolers. Why?
Stock location intercoolers do cool down the charge temps but sometimes don't have the flow capacity of a larger front mount. They also don't always cool down charge temps as well as a larger front mount. I went from a Mishimoto to a speedfactory and the car has much less heatsoak...

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3T/6A with aftermarket PP.
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock location intercoolers do cool down the charge temps but sometimes don't have the flow capacity of a larger front mount. They also don't always cool down charge temps as well as a larger front mount. I went from a Mishimoto to a speedfactory and the car has much less heatsoak...

so the stock location aftermarket intercoolers are still subjected to heatsoak issues?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
so the stock location aftermarket intercoolers are still subjected to heatsoak issues?
They can eventually heatsoak. You'll be able to run longer before heatsoak happens though. The biggest issue is really most stock location don't flow as well as front mount ones.

·
Registered
594 Posts
any car that sits without air flow will heat soak. end of story. it needs airflow, as soon as you start driving, it cools the air down.

the larger intercooler, quicker, stock, slowly, race, has more area so even more than stock location. but I chose stock CPE location, because I dont track, and its a much better cool down than stock, so whatever im happy.

unless you track, I wouldn't get the larger one imo. DD? get the regular. there is a slight boost lag from the race, you probably won't notice but it has to fill more air or whatever, pressurization. im not a scientist just what I read.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'll echo what's been already said here. A 'stock location' is fine to simply upgrade the OEM IC. It absolutely does the trick. But the 'racing' IC's do an even better job. So I guess the gist is, might as well go big or go home. My 'racing IC' is one of the LAST THINGS to heatsoak. Like FreedomPenguin said, everything will heatsoak when it sits around long enough under an unventilated hood, but I've found that I can drop my charge temps BELOW my IAT temps at open throttle because my intake tube can get pretty 'baked' from driving around Miami traffic.

·
Registered
594 Posts
yeah imo anythings better than stock.

in my reasoning for FMIC, I got it shipped for 275 brand new from CPE FMIC. and, I dont have those little fins behind the grille, the name is floating me of those.

active grille shutters- because I didnt have those, I was able to just pop belly pan off, slide old IC right out, and slide FMIC right in. a little tight, but took me 30minutes lol.

if I went race, I would of had to remove whole bumper, and 275 I didnt care. worth it to me. I dont drive it hard enough to warrant race RC. I gun it onto highways etc. its getting plenty of air. Truth be told, the stock one probably would of worked for me, but still. I like knowing I have the beefy one.

and trust me, the cpe FMIC is much beefier than the oem. I actually dropped it mid air installing, and caught it like 5 inches from hitting the ground.! thing weighed like 15lbs (dont know) but I got super lucky catching the darn thing. it slipped.

In my case- the ford perf is a mild tune, much milder than say cobb or protunes since it functions with stock pansy one just fine, its simply extra benefit having my upgraded one. I just read the CPE FMIC is 60% larger in volume than the stock IC. but here a photo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts