Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to get some milk and took the long way.
Car was acting weak, checked my Torque app and its reporting 8psi max. I flog the car abit to see whats going on and sure enough the max boost is 8psi and now the turbo flutters when I let off the gas.
An underhood search found no visible cause so I went and picked up the milk, grumbling about my impending trip to the dealership.
I get the milk and start to drive home and now the car is fine, max boost is back to 23psi and car is hauling hard again.

I'm thinking crappy factory blow off valve, anybody else have this happen?.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The first thing I'd do, is check for a loose hose/line/tube. Can't be "heat soak," as you weren't driving it hard, prior to the incident. Good luck.

Michael

·
Banned
457 Posts
Went to get some milk and took the long way.
Car was acting weak, checked my Torque app and its reporting 8psi max. I flog the car abit to see whats going on and sure enough the max boost is 8psi and now the turbo flutters when I let off the gas.
An underhood search found no visible cause so I went and picked up the milk, grumbling about my impending trip to the dealership.
I get the milk and start to drive home and now the car is fine, max boost is back to 23psi and car is hauling hard again.

I'm thinking crappy factory blow off valve, anybody else have this happen?.
I had a similar experience, my car wouldn't go past 10psi! I thought of the bypass valve too! Turned out to be a blown vaccum hose connected to the wastegate! So take a good long look at those hoses and vaccum hoses!

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem was resolved by shutting the car off and restartng it (going into the store and coming back out) this has me leaning towards the bov getting itself stuck slightly open and resetting when I restarted the car, the 8psi max suggests boost leak while the flutter on decel suggest not enough leak.
Ambient temps are around 59f/15c right now and my charge temp gauge was showing 100f/38c, knock sensor was clear, octane adjust ratio holding steady at -1.0 and AFR was high 13 low 14 range.

I'm pricing out BOV's right now and the Turbosmart kits are shipping for about 310 bucks in beaver dollars, a bit pricey imo but the embarrassment a faulty oem bov could cause at a stoplight beside a beater Honda or Toyota would haunt me for life, not to mention the shame I would bring on ecoboost community.

If I could get some reassurance that this was a one in a thousand fluke I'll save my money.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a similar experience, my car wouldn't go past 10psi! I thought of the bypass valve too! Turned out to be a blown vaccum hose connected to the wastegate! So take a good long look at those hoses and vaccum hoses!

I'll definitely give that an intimate go over tomorrow, thanks.

·
Banned
457 Posts
I'll definitely give that an intimate go over tomorrow, thanks.
I wouldn't rush to replace the factory (electronic bypass) valve! All the aftermarket stuff is not electronic! The ECU uses the electronic bypass valve and wastegate to control boost, in bad situations! We're kinda stuck with what Ford gave us! If you want to protect the motor, don't waste money on a manual bypass valve. Just go to the dealer and buy an OEM replacement!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I wouldn't rush to replace the factory (electronic bypass) valve! All the aftermarket stuff is not electronic! The ECU uses the electronic bypass valve and wastegate to control boost, in bad situations! We're kinda stuck with what Ford gave us! If you want to protect the motor, don't waste money on a manual bypass valve. Just go to the dealer and buy an OEM replacement!

I did notice a couple reports of undesirable effects from switching to the aftermarket bov and I do like to keep my money so I will likely stick with the factory unit i can be absolutely certain an improvement will be made.
I just drove the car again and my monitor (shown in screen shot) are reporting all is well so hopefully just a fluke.
Screenshot_20170921-223658.png

·
Registered
634 Posts
Had exact same issue here happen twice. Out of the blue unusual events. Both times random and were corrected with shutdown/restart. I blamed mine on the ECU deciding it didn't like the aftermarket blowoff valve/wastegate but it corrected itself on shutdown which prevented me from trying to run it down. Short version, if this is a rare and random quirk, let it ride otherwise you may start just throwing money around to no purpose.

Reactions: slojas

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this happen regularly. Like if driving smooth and not getting on it, its fine. I get on it and it'll fall flat and then getting like 8lbs of boost and flutter when let off the gas. Havent been able to diagnose the issue. I one point I did get a check engine light for the knock sensor. Once I shut the car off and turn it back on its fine until I get on it again.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
As I said in another thread, changing out the stock electronic BOV to vacuum aftermarket ones, causes more problems on these cars than is worthwhile.

Reactions: SamAce75
1 - 11 of 11 Posts