Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am considering to get CVF street intercooler for my Mustang Ecoboost 2015.
Since the CVF street intercooler is not that big compare to stock intercooler, I think it would pass visual test.
How about sniff test? would aftermarket affect sniff test?
I am in California btw.

Thank you

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hi,

I am considering to get CVF street intercooler for my Mustang Ecoboost 2015.
Since the CVF street intercooler is not that big compare to stock intercooler, I think it would pass visual test.
How about sniff test? would aftermarket affect sniff test?
I am in California btw.

Thank you
Intercooler upgrade shouldn't affect the cats in the car. Not sure if you will need a CARB sticker for it though. As long as you don't change out the cats you shouldn't have any issues with a sniffer test.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Intercooler upgrade shouldn't affect the cats in the car. Not sure if you will need a CARB sticker for it though. As long as you don't change out the cats you shouldn't have any issues with a sniffer test.
From what I read online, everything need carb sticker, except for catback. There is only 1 intercooler (Garrett) that is carb approve for the Mustang EB.
I am hoping with the CVF street intercooler that look a little bit bigger than stock and in black color, the smog tech won’t notice it.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The cool part about my time in California, was that I was in the Marines. So I got to keep my homestate drivers license, and hence, my plates. Never had to deal with any of that nonsense in my 5 years there. Thank goodness. Good luck. Just ridiculous that they would frown upon an aftermarket IC. Not sure how 'cooling capacity' has any effect on emissions besides, perhaps, improving it, due to a POTENTIALLY cooler combustion.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Well vehicles that use a Mass Air Flow control scheme can and are impacted by changes in the intake track. Since most vehicles these days are MAF based California says no to any change. It wouldn't be practicle or managable to have rules based on engine control scheme.

Practically i can't see how they would ever know whether the intercooler is stock or not as long as you stick with a stock location unit. They would have to take the car apart to tell, which they don't. Probally would make sense if you have one with the brand spray painted across the fins to clean that off.

Dave

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
20 Posts
I live in California. California does not use the sniffer on newer cars. They just plug their computer into your cars computer to test. So no worries on sniffer test.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in MA and my experience has been the same as Kwiski. I'm running the Garrett intercooler which is CARB; but, I didn't put the sticker on when I installed it and now I'm not sure where it is...

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
20 Posts
Unless the smog people actually look for aftermarket parts or know about them I wouldn't worrie about it. I have an old motorhome that I put an aftermarket carb on to pass california emissions and they passed it with flying colors but they never removed air cleaner to look.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I live in MA and my experience has been the same as Kwiski. I'm running the Garrett intercooler which is CARB; but, I didn't put the sticker on when I installed it and now I'm not sure where it is...
I live in MA too and my son manages a tire and service center that does MA state inspections. I can tell you without a doubt not one of the guys doing inspections including my son would know if a part is factory or aftermarket unless it is polished billet or anodized a brite color and they don't care even if they are. An intercooler down below the radiator, behind the grill and above the belly pan would never get a look.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts