Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi yall,
I was wondering if it would be feasible to get more blowoff valve noise by just disconnecting the hose that connects the blowoff valve to the intake piping. Would this work and would it cause any codes? I have a ‘22 ecoboost that is stock.

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Hi yall,
I was wondering if it would be feasible to get more blowoff valve noise by just disconnecting the hose that connects the blowoff valve to the intake piping. Would this work and would it cause any codes? I have a ‘22 ecoboost that is stock.
Shouldn't though a code.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
You need to use a 1" chair leg cap to plug the open port from the intake tube or plug the rubber hose if you remove it from the hot side charge pipe.

No code should be set.

BD

· Registered
2019 Coupe, Shadow Black, Black Accents Package
2 Posts
You need to use a 1" chair leg cap to plug the open port from the intake tube or plug the rubber hose if you remove it from the hot side charge pipe.

No code should be set.

BD
Funny to see someone else using chair leg caps. Thought it was just me lol.

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
MacGuyer tricks like that have been around a very long time. Right up there with using a screw/bolt to block a vacuum hose or using a soda/beer can and clamps to patch a radiator hose long enough to get down the road for a fix.
LOL... Like they say on the Road Kill show "It doesn't have to be right, it just has to run!"

Reactions: Buldawg76

· Registered
1,656 Posts
There are all kind of tricks to the trade, I learned from my first boss that had been repairing cars since the 40s.

BD

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

· Registered
213 Posts
Won't this cause compressor surge/flutter? No way I'd run my car like this...just for noise? LOL. k. not worth the potential damage in my mind.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Won't this cause compressor surge/flutter? No way I'd run my car like this...just for noise? LOL. k. not worth the potential damage in my mind.
I don't like the noise either, but, I don't think it will do any damage.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
No, it will not cause any surge/flutter or damage anything. It's no different than the boost pressure being vented into the intake tube, it's just allowing the boost pressure to vent to atmosphere and make the whoosh/psssh noise. Just need to either plug the intake tube port or the hose depending on which end you remove so no foreign debris get sucked into the intake tube and the turbo compressor wheel.

BD

· Registered
857 Posts
And to further elaborate… the air volume is not accounted for at that point, so whether you vent to atmosphere or back to the intake tube makes no difference to the engine management. NO flutter and NO surge.

· Registered
2016 ecoboost premium
275 Posts
Blow off valve adaptors are cheap and a lot less hackey ( no offence intended ) not meaning to plug my **** but I’m selling a lightly used steeda blow off valve adaptor for $50 Canadian plus shipping and it make loud af blow off noises without having to plug hoses with chair legs

· Registered
2,661 Posts
The reason the Blow Off Valve is vented back to the intake is that in many countries or states, it is illegal to vent the charged air to the atmosphere.
Due to strict Emission laws. That is the case where I live in Australia.
If a cop hears your loud turbo blow off as you drive past, and wants to go by the letter of the law, you can be fined or your car deemed unroadworthy.

· Registered
857 Posts
The air being diverted or vented is not charged with fuel. Only excess pressure (PSI) is being relieved so the turbo vanes don't bend/shatter when the throttle body closes and it has nowhere to go.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
Yep, just a lot of hot air being released. :eek:

BD

Reactions: KewlWinter

· Registered
2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Base Velocity Blue A10
40 Posts
I have the Steeda blow off valve adapter , went on easy and easy to find o rings for it. Love the pshhht sound, inexpensive mod on stock tube that you won’t use later when upgrading the charge pipe and getting a full fledged blow off valve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts