Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daily driver is a'17 EB 'vert with almost 45k on it. It's developed a rattle that's driving me nuts! If I'm driving under around 45 mph, regardless of the quality of the road surface, I have no problem. No rattle even on rough roads. Over 45, and I get what can best be described as a "fluttering" type of rattle, and that sound is clearly wind-driven. It seems to come from the area ahead of the driver's side rearview mirror. I thought at first I'd picked up some debris like a piece of plastic and that was stuck somewhere under the chassis, but no. It happens with the top down or up. I checked for leaves that fell between the hood and the windshield...no. Another thing is that I can't say it's constant. It seems to be worse in colder weather, and sort of quiets down on warmer days. Where do I go with this? Anyone else seen this issue? I saw a post about windshield washer tubing causing a rattle, but that was after hood liner removal, which I haven't done. Also, It does not sound like it's coming from my dash or instrument cluster, it sounds as if it's somewhere under the fender.

Y'all help me out here. I love my pony car, but I'm an old dude, and don't have enough hair to be tearing it out over this noise.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Check the windshield washer nozzle line it can rattle on the underside of the hood or inside the fender area on the passenger side.

The hood adjusters can be at fault as well and considering this is wind related they are a likely cause of the issue, just unscrew the rubber bumpers to create more tension against the hood when closed. They are the little rubber knobs on either side of the radiator and have a threaded base, turning them can increase or decrease their height

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
More info on the washer line, in the picture below you can see the washer line exposed by the removal of the fender, if the line were to rest in the wrong spot it could rattle against the frame rail or inner fender.

To access this section of hose the removal of the wheel and inner fender would be necessary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks slojas, I'll check both items when the daylight comes. I'm inclined to think it's more likely to be the washer line than the hood adjuster though. The sound is sort of like you'd expect if you had a light weight plastic piece that fit into a metal depression, but fit loosely and rattled when the wind moved it around. It is clearly on the driver's side, and it sounds like it's under the fender. Does the washer line run across inner fender on that side? I might mention that this started (I think) right after a tire rotation, so my mechanic certainly had the tires off. Is there anything else that he could have dislodged around the front left wheel well in that process?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
One of the plastic rivets that hold the inner fender liner could have come loose during the wheel change and is allowing the plastic to flap around a bit.
I currently have a bit of a rattle like you so I have ordered new plastic rivets and some sound insulating foam sheets. I will be pulling the passenger front wheel off in the spring and making sure nothing can make any noise in that area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's pretty cool looking. I always liked the look of one on a friend's SLK. Thanks for sending!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had an issue with the washer fluid hose rattling against the fender well. It was really terrible at highway speeds. Tacked it back in place with dum-dum putty, and it seems to be holding fairly well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts