Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here in North Carolina winter is usually wet and cold, with occasional snow or ice. Not real summer-tire-only friendly for those couple nasty months. In fact - been raining for almost 3 days on and off. Last weekend I brought my 2012 AWD Taurus back from our mountain cabin. I have made the decision to take the 2016 Mustang out only on dry days and use the Taurus in the nasty weather. Not thrilled parking the Taurus outside and maneuvering around it in the driveway w/ the family Flex. BUT - sure beats trashing the Mustang in this weather. I can leave Eleanor safely tucked up in her garage bay now.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I’m in South east Va. same weather......I have a 17 F150 3.5 TT 4x4 for the nasty days, leaving the mustangs for the nice sunny days.....not a lot of nice sunny days though right now.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
This is my winter car:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 snow tires I presume? We moved south from central Mass. I have been driving for 42 years and the Mustang is only the seocnd RWD car I have owned. All others were FWD or AWD

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
4 snow tires I presume? We moved south from central Mass. I have been driving for 42 years and the Mustang is only the seocnd RWD car I have owned. All others were FWD or AWD
Yeah, Blizzaks on all 4 corners. This is my 4th winter on the same set. If you don't do too many donuts, they seem to wear well and last a long time.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have lived my whole life in south eastern Mass and have been driving for 50 years. While we don't get as much snow as central Mass i have plenty of experience driving in the snow. I much rather have RWD than FWD in the slippery stuff, you have much more control with RWD.

My Mustang with winter tires is significantly better than a FWD on all seasons tires and i would contend its better than AWD on worn tires. The only down side to the Mustang in the snow is the lack of ground clearance.

This photo is from just before Christmas.

Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting that you say that - my dad had a Volvo wagon when I was about 15 and we went skiing in Vermont in that all the time. Four snows - Vredesteins I think - and that car was super stable and controllable. He always liked it in the snow. I think at my age I am too tired to constantly wash the Mustang after winter driving. The AWD Taurus is something of a workhorse now to take the mileage off the family Flex and keep my Magnetic beauty clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also drive my Mustang all winter long here in Iowa. We get plenty of snow but I purchased a set of 18" rims for the cooper Snow Tires and Run on the polished Aluminum 19s That came on the car in the summer. If we get more than 6" of snow then I will get the 4 wheel drive truck out but can't afford the gas to drive it all the time.27 MPG Vs 15 MPG adds up with 105 mile round trip to work.

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
I also drive my Mustang all winter long here in Iowa. We get plenty of snow
I lasted exactly ONE snow-storm in the north of Iowa (Winnebago cty) and ran away screaming to Texas. :LOL:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts