Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last December I bought my Ecovert premium CPO......and upon driving it home in snow flurries it went directly into winter storage. I stabilized the fuel, charged up the battery, and it sat in my heated garage for about 3.5 months. When I took it out of hibernation it was dead - well, the battery wasn't dead but nothing worked and I had a message displayed indicating the car was in some kind of "deep sleep mode" due to inactivity. Nothing in the owners manual about it so I did internet/forum research, talked to dealer service, etc. and finally got it out of that mode, but wasn't an easy procedure. Battery disconnect/reconnect, using "emergency" key from the fob to lock/unlock the door via the "secret" door lock behind the removeable door handle cover, etc ...…. and probably some other steps I have forgotten.

I certainly want to avoid that this year so am looking for advice on best way to store it this year. What does everybody else do? Just keep a battery tender on it? Disconnect battery? Both? Something else? My car is a 2017. My sister & brother-in-law essentially have the same car. except 2015 and AT instead of MT. They just throw a battery tender on it occassionally and have never had the issue I had.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...….I agree that the ideal thing to do is run a car, but......we get a lot of snow and ice here, my driveway is 1000ft thru the woods, and too many drivers now seem to forget driving skills once winter sets in (really - it's bad)……..so my Mustang will spend the winter resting in a low humidity 65 degree environment!!

I've done seasonal storage with my sports cars, motorcyles, boats, snowmobiles, ATV's, etc. going on 45 years with no issues until last winter with my Mustang. Still interested in what other EB Mustang owners do when they store them in the winter...….and if anyone else has dealt with that damn "deep sleep mode" thing I experienced. As of now I am planning on disconnecting the battery completely and keeping it on a tender.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I highly recommend just putting a battery tender on the car and keep the electrical system alive all winter. If you disconnect the battery, you'll experience the "sleep mode" problems for sure. I'd also recommend going out to the garage, every so often and starting the car, to let it run for 20 minutes, or so. You don't have to drive the car, but just get the engine and transmission warmed up. That should work just fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Moxman! So disconnecting the battery apparently will prompt the deep sleep mode......that's what I wanted to know! Starting and warming up a few times during the winter is doable. Thanks again:) !

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks Moxman! So disconnecting the battery apparently will prompt the deep sleep mode......that's what I wanted to know! Starting and warming up a few times during the winter is doable. Thanks again:) !
I store mine in the winter too. I also recommend the battery tender. I even got the little one off amazon (tender jr. ? I think). You don't need the huge ones with a big capacity. 20 bucks. Do that and fuel stabilizer and you'll have no issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I store my 1990 Miata with nothing other than fuel stabilizer and a battery tender. Starts up fine each spring, and no issues over the last 25 years of doing it this way.

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I store my 04 Cobra the same way as most have stated on here as well. When not in use, I keep battery connected and have it on a small battery tender(best investment ever) with fuel stabilizer in the tank. I keep the tank between 1/2 and 3/4 full so if I do need fresh gas. Past few years I put roughly about 200 miles per year to keep seals and such still good.

·
Registered
785 Posts
A bit spendy, but not when compared to a replacement battery. The high-freq will even revive a sulfated battery (up to a point). This also comes with extra cabling to allow you a permanent pigtail to be attached to your car, or the old standby alligator clips. https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-fully-automatic-microprocessor-controlled-battery-chargermaintainer-63350.html
Yeah that's why I went with the tender jr. It's a trusted name, was $20 on amazon I think. I have pigtails wired on both the mustang and my bike. I just rotate the charger around (I should just buy another one). I put it on a dead battery in my beater once not expecting any results and it brought that back to life too. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Tender is the way to go. With all the computers and whatnot on modern cars, they will kill the battery over a month or so. My brother's 2011 Impala will kill the battery in a few weeks if not run. He found that out the hard way wintering in Florida when they didn't drive the car for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We live in Montana and what I do with our mustangs, corvette and motorhome is go out once a month and open the garage doors and run each till the reach full operating temp and then shut them down.. I make sure they have full tanks at all times so water will not form and thats it

·
Registered
109 Posts
Down here in south central Texas, I have no problem with snow, but I do put away my Corvette for extended periods when the weather gets cold and wet. We have 90 octane no alcohol fuel available here at our QT gas stations, so I don't worry about fuel separation, and just fill up the tank so it doesn't accumulate any moisture and toss in a little Stabil fuel additive just for added safety. I have a little battery maintainer I got from Northern tools called Battery MINDer that has a high frequency pulse feature that breaks down the calcification buildup on the plates and keeps it up to charge. I permanently installed wiring and plug-ins on both cars, so I don't even have to open the hoods to plug in either car. (I DO leave a little marker on the hood now to show that the car is on the Minder, so my Wife doesn't back out of the garage again and pull it out of the wall plug! :oops: )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts