Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Follow my Instagram @ Inazuma.s550
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got a brand new Eco and ive had it for about a year now and ive put 16.5k miles on it with basically no issues so far aside from the Valve Body being messed up from factory and i had it repaired with the warranty covering it in full, from then on theres been no issues. Recently, i’ve been adding mod after mod and i got to a point where really the only thing left to do is to tune my car. So, i bought a cobb AP and now im not sure on whether i should break my powertrain warranty and use a OTS stage 2 tune or just leave it be and wait the warranty out. Haven’t installed it yet, still making the decision.
I was a little worried that my eco wouldn’t trade in/ sell properly if there was a tune on it but i figured since im putting alot of AEM components on it already, it wouldn’t matter much.
Ive seen some eco owners void their warranty after less than 10k because they tuned their cars and others wait the warranty out.
If there’s anyone thats tuned, after warranty expiration or before your input would be appreciated

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
977 Posts
Well I have been pretty lucky. Not inky have I had a relatively trouble free experience but my dealer was mod friendly. I had mine custom tuned from about 10ks. EVERY car I've had has been modified from mild to wild worst thing that's happened was a snapped manifold stud on my R33. Question is can you afford it if goes wring and are you maverick enough?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It depends on your goals.
My personal Mustang is 100% original and with factory tune. I use it for fair weather driving.
My other Mustang is track only and has no factory warranty. If it breaks, I have to bite the bullet and fix it ($$$).
If I had a modified street Mustang... I'd go with the Ford Performance tune and use the Cobb device for data logging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have been pretty lucky. Not inky have I had a relatively trouble free experience but my dealer was mod friendly. I had mine custom tuned from about 10ks. EVERY car I've had has been modified from mild to wild worst thing that's happened was a snapped manifold stud on my R33. Question is can you afford it if goes wring and are you maverick enough?
I definitely could afford smaller things but lets say a blown head gasket, transmission failure, anything major probably not, and i would end up needing to sell it.
As for being maverick, maybe i am, maybe not, ive done everything to my car independently aside from oil changes (purely for maintenance history & warranty) and the valve body because it would be a pain in the ass because the 10R80 is a pain.
My dealers are aftermarket friendly but tunes are basically a mandatory thing they need to enforce, aside from one dealer about 40 out from where i live, they said if i take off the tune and revert to factory " they wouldnt know ", basically the techs would let me slide

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends on your goals.
My personal Mustang is 100% original and with factory tune. I use it for fair weather driving.
My other Mustang is track only and has no factory warranty. If it breaks, I have to bite the bullet and fix it ($$$).
If I had a modified street Mustang... I'd go with the Ford Performance tune and use the Cobb device for data logging.
My eco is a daily & my only personal vehicle and i want to try and keep it for a bit till i trade it in for a MK5 supra years down the line.
I heard the ford perf tunes are pretty conservative, and comparable to the OTS tunes, and its an additional 500-600 i wouldnt like to spend if its not necessary, but that ford perf warranty is pretty nice and i totally see your point.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought a 2020 new as a closeout Jan of 2021. I drove it a couple hundred miles normally then drove it hard to see if anything was flawed from the initial build. Everything appeared OK so I drove it like any normal car during the week for work, and would often drive it hard on weekends. At about 800 miles on the clock I loaded Cobb Stage 1 OTS and had no issues. The charging system was acting up, had battery tested and it was OK, so loaded factory tune back on and took it to the dealer. They replaced alternator with no questions. Had no issues after that and at about 2800 miles I went FBO and Custom Dyno Tune on Cobb platform. I'm at about 9000 miles now and no issues.

It's a completely different car with a huge increase in drivability and power. It has 335 HP and 415 Torque to the wheels. It's the best money I've spent in quite a while. 0 to 60 in 4.6 and 0 to 100 in 10.6. 1/4 mile would easily be in the 12's but without suspension mods I can't get below 13.1 @ 108 mph due to wheel hop and wheel spin to the point that the computer pulls power.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I bought a 2020 new as a closeout Jan of 2021. I drove it a couple hundred miles normally then drove it hard to see if anything was flawed from the initial build. Everything appeared OK so I drove it like any normal car during the week for work, and would often drive it hard on weekends. At about 800 miles on the clock I loaded Cobb Stage 1 OTS and had no issues. The charging system was acting up, had battery tested and it was OK, so loaded factory tune back on and took it to the dealer. They replaced alternator with no questions. Had no issues after that and at about 2800 miles I went FBO and Custom Dyno Tune on Cobb platform. I'm at about 9000 miles now and no issues.

It's a completely different car with a huge increase in drivability and power. It has 335 HP and 415 Torque to the wheels. It's the best money I've spent in quite a while. 0 to 60 in 4.6 and 0 to 100 in 10.6. 1/4 mile would easily be in the 12's but without suspension mods I can't get below 13.1 @ 108 mph due to wheel hop and wheel spin to the point that the computer pulls power.
Product Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

Your right! According to the Wallace Calculator, you should be in the 12s!!
Still, pretty impressive numbers! Was your Dyno on Cobb OTS stage 2 / 93 octane??

·
Registered
136 Posts
View attachment 41309
Your right! According to the Wallace Calculator, you should be in the 12s!!
Still, pretty impressive numbers! Was your Dyno on Cobb OTS stage 2 / 93 octane??
It's a custom map for 93 Octane, similar to Stage 3. I think that's what they actually do, at least that's my guess...they start with Stage 3 OTS as a base map and adjust it from there to fit each car. Whatever they do, it puts down good power and is great fun to drive. I'll have to try that Wallace Calculator!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Your 2020 Mustang motor may be stronger than you think! According to this YouTube video, the 2020 ecoboost, may of gotten better rods! I haven't been able to confirm this... this video is the 1st time I've heard anything about possible upgrades.
Font Automotive lighting Screenshot Technology Auto part

·
Registered
521 Posts
I waited for the 5/60 to expire before ECU flashing because I wanted to be sure there were no defects. I did have a turbo wastegate failure while under extended warranty (6/60) that was covered because I did not yet have the ECU flashed. The Turbo replacement cost would have been over 2k out of pocket if I had installed an aftermarket tune.

If you can't afford to replace a Turbo, Engine, etc. I would leave the ECU stock. If you have a hand held tuner you can always flash back to OEM. Some have gotten away with flashing back to stock and some haven't.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks! I saw something about that but hadn't had time to find and watch the video.

I asked my tuner about the rods, and he said he would snoop around and see what he could find out as off the top of his head he didn't know. He has a Ford Focus of his own that puts out the 550 HP or some crazy ****, so he likes Fords....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Your 2020 Mustang motor may be stronger than you think! According to this YouTube video, the 2020 ecoboost, may of gotten better rods! I haven't been able to confirm this... this video is the 1st time I've heard anything about possible upgrades.
View attachment 41312
Thanks! I saw something about that but hadn't had time to find and watch the video.

I asked my tuner about the rods, and he said he would snoop around and see what he could find out as off the top of his head he didn't know. He has a Ford Focus of his own that puts out the 550 HP or some crazy ****, so he likes Fords....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Wow your ownership experience has been almost identical to mine, bought Dec 2020, brand new 2020 model right off the lot, went damn near FBO, and i have 16k miles on it ( bc of lots of hwy driving) your reply is really convincing. I might just do the tune because of that damn reply!

Reactions: MD18EcoStang

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys, I got a brand new Eco and ive had it for about a year now and ive put 16.5k miles on it with basically no issues so far aside from the Valve Body being messed up from factory and i had it repaired with the warranty covering it in full, from then on theres been no issues. Recently, i’ve been adding mod after mod and i got to a point where really the only thing left to do is to tune my car. So, i bought a cobb AP and now im not sure on whether i should break my powertrain warranty and use a OTS stage 2 tune or just leave it be and wait the warranty out. Haven’t installed it yet, still making the decision.
I was a little worried that my eco wouldn’t trade in/ sell properly if there was a tune on it but i figured since im putting alot of AEM components on it already, it wouldn’t matter much.
Ive seen some eco owners void their warranty after less than 10k because they tuned their cars and others wait the warranty out.
If there’s anyone thats tuned, after warranty expiration or before your input would be appreciated
I don't know what mods you have done without a tune but while your warranty is still good, you could use the Ford tune. I have the Ford tune in my 2019 Mustang and in my Ranger and I'm happy with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts