Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 405 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every good car build comes with a story, so here's mine.

Back in 2014 I was driving a lightly modified 2003 WRX wagon. I loved that car. It was a fun car that honestly gave me smiles every time I looked back at it after parking. Or it was until an inattentive driver made it into an accordion. With limited time to find a new ride, and limited resources at the time I couldn't afford to go with the Ecoboost Mustang that I had my eye on at the time and bought a new 2014 Ford Focus.

It was an OK car, and provided some fun with the manual transmission, but ultimately it wasn't as exciting as I prefer my cars to be. So after getting a couple of promotions at work my financial situation had changed enough that I could afford to trade off the Focus for something better, and I began to look at the Ford lots for good deals on in-stock cars.

October 28, 2016

I came really close to making a deal in Houston on a new 2015 Ecoboost Premium with PP and 50 years trim that had been sitting unsold on a lot since 2015. I was all set to make the drive and do the deal when I got a message from the dealer that "Ford won't allow us to sell this car." WTF? So I pulled the trigger on a 2017 that was a heck of a lot closer instead.

2017 Ecoboost with PP and the dealer had already done 35% tint all around. Blue is my color, the focus there is what I traded to get the Mustang.

November 5, 2016
I decided that I didn't really like the feel of the stock shift knob, so hit up ebay for something different. the ball is bigger and feels much better in the palm of my hand.

November 25, 2016

I pulled the trigger on a Black Friday deal on a Cobb Access Port, and went with the Stage 1 - 93 Octane tune right out of the box. The additional power is an immediate rush and other mod plans start to form.

February 19, 2017
I went out with SPOKES and ran my first autocross in over 10 years. I wasn't great, but I had fun and improved throughout the day. The car was mostly stock, but I classed it where I want to end up, not where it was at that moment.

February 22, 2017
After saving up some cash, I pulled the trigger on a pretty large order from CJ Pony Parts and picked up:
Steeda Strut brace
Steeda IRS Subframe Alignment Kit
Steeda Extreme G-Track Brace
Eibach Pro-Kit springs.

I had most of the suspension bits installed professionally by a shop recommended by most of the autocrossers in town. An expense well worth it I think.

March 13, 2017
I installed a hood strut kit I picked up from AmericanMuscle.com . I think this should be one of the first thing all Mustang owners do to their cars. This is how it should have come from the factory. that stupid prop bar had to go.

March 13, 2017
I got another order from CJ Pony, the Mishimoto CAI kit. Since the stock airbox is actually pretty good, the only reason to go with a CAI is for the sound, and I really like the added sound from this setup. The turbo spool and Bypass valve noise is now very much more pronounced. Now I've started getting odd looks from people expecting V8 noise, not Turbo-4 sounds.

This is where it is today.

Installed:
Steeda Strut brace
Steeda IRS Subframe Alignment Kit
Steeda Extreme G-Track Brace
Eibach Pro-Kit springs
19x9.5 SVE Drift wheels
285/35-19 Ohtsu tires
Diode Dynamics smoked LED marker lights
Diode Dynamics 4th brake light kit
carbon fiber mirror covers
carbon fiber rear window spoiler
carbon fiber rear spoiler
MMD rear diffuser fins
modified GT grille
CP-e intercooler
Mishimoto CAI
Mishimoto Polished Charge Pipes
Mishimoto catch can
Go Fast Bits DV+
NGK 1 step colder plugs from Tune+
Gibson black tip cat-back
Tune+ Tune
Turbosmart Wastegate from Tune+
GT California Special front splitter

Future plans include:
catted 3" downpipe (haven't quite decided on brand)
Diode Dynamics LED light replacements
various dress up items (RTR side splitters, leather seats, etc)

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pony got new shoes. 19 x 9.5 with 275/35-19 Nitto Invo tires

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
SVE Drift Wheels
These great looking SVE Drift Mustang wheels are a must have for any 2005-2016 Mustang! These wheels are 19x9.5's that come finished in flat Black and are designed to be a direct bolt on for 2005-2016 Mustang applications. SVE logo center cap included.

Note
Clears Brembo Brakes

Wheel Specs
Size: 19x9.5
Offset: +35mm
Backspacing: 6.63
Weight: 26 lbs
Lug Pattern: 5 x 114.3

Application
- Fits 2005-2016 Ford Mustangs

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, Squid got it. I Picked them up through LMR.com

Reactions: ststang

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I added the Diode Dynamics smoked rear side marker lights and 4th brake light kits. No photos yet. The car is what I consider dirty, and I'm headed to the track this weekend, so hope to have some good photos/videos to share from that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nice build so far! Once you do the intercooler, are you considering a custom tune? I am in the process of tuning with Tune+, and I can tell you there's a big difference between OTS Stage1 93 and a Tune+ tune.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm planning on going Tune+ once I get past the intercooler. Though I might run the Cobb stage 2 briefly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've heard stage 2 is only recommended if you are running Cobb parts. Not sure how true that is though.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4th brake light

tinted side marker

Reactions: jboogie1289

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've heard stage 2 is only recommended if you are running Cobb parts. Not sure how true that is though.
Because the Cobb stuff is "magical". It's the only reason it costs so much more than the Mishimoto stuff that has the exact same specs.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Let us know how it works out.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I added a carbon fiber rear window spoiler. It was kind of a whim, but I like it. It's an ebay piece, but the carbon looks good and it's UV cleared so it shouldn't fade.

I have a couple more small projects ready to go this weekend - rear diffuser and finally making the rear pony black.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Kind of dirty, but more changes to the look from the rear... Everyone says getting the rear pony off is easy, but somehow I managed to break two of the plastic tabs and bend part of the inner structure.

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Kind of dirty, but more changes to the look from the rear... Everyone says getting the rear pony off is easy, but somehow I managed to break two of the plastic tabs and bend part of the inner structure.
Easy to get to, yes, Easy to get off, not so much. Those little tabs/one time nuts are a pain. Luckily my replacement used threaded tabs.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apparently when I broke one of the plastic tabs, part of it got stuck inside the trunk lid. I can hear it bounce around when I close the trunk. :(

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ordered parts:
CP-e intercooler
Polished Mishimoto intercooler pipe kit

I'll post comparison pics when I get the old one out.

1 - 20 of 405 Posts