Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

361 - 380 of 405 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
So, here's what has been done and where it is...

After the initial failure at the emissions testing station, I loaded the last good tune before I added in the high CVF downpipe. It took two days to make it through a "drive cycle" before it then popped up a CEL for P0420 "catalyst below efficiency".

Since I had brakes that needed to be done as well, and wanted someone else to put some eyes on my suspension bits, I rolled the car over to the performance chop around the corner from my house and had them swap the downpipe back to stock and put in new brake pads on all four wheels. In the process of doing the brakes, they found that the left rear wheel bearing was starting to go out, so I had them do that at the same time.

I went with Motorcraft brake pads all around. The stock stuff lasted me three years though autocross and the occasional track day without any issues, so no need to mess with something else (though I was tempted).

Once the emissions registers cleared I took the car back in to the testing shop and had them re-run it and give me the pass it needs for another year.

A challenge to this and yet another reason that I won't be putting the high-flow down pipe back on...

The clamp holding the down pipe to the cat-back seems to stretch after a few uses and will no longer clamp sufficiently to hold things together. After picking the car up I had it drop the exhaust that same night on the way to work. Thankfully I was still only a couple of miles from home, so I wedged it together short term until I got home and put it back together. When the shop looked at it in the morning it was coming apart again. When we compared the old clamp to a new one from ford (which they had in stock) the new one was much tighter.

@OlTexastang if you want this down pipe it's yours. It'll need a new gasket, and I would recommend one of the L-pipes for the lower O2 sensor to get the readings into compliance with the computer expectations, or a tune from someone to handle it.

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
And just FYI for those not affected by the emissions requirement in the few counties in Texas where this could be an issue...

Cars have to be tested for safety and emissions every year. If the vehicle fails, the owner has 15 days to bring it into compliance and the original testing shop then has to re-test for free.

Reactions: ZStang

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
Something new...

I pulled into Cars and Coffee Austin this morning, and had a new issue come up, something I've not seen anywhere yet.

I began hearing a repeated pinging noise that varied with speed. As I parked others were listening and we all thought it might be something stuck in a brake backing plate, but I couldn't find anything and without a good jack on hand I couldn't get under the car to look closer. As I drove home, with the noise still ongoing, I noticed that the shifter looked lower than normal. So on a whim, I pulled up on the ball, and the noise stopped. If I let it go, or pushed down, it started again.

My diagnosis, something in the transmission shifter let go, but since I've never had any of that apart, I have no idea what. I drove it straight in to the dealer. I'm hoping it can get covered under "drivetrain" warranty.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Something new...

I pulled into Cars and Coffee Austin this morning, and had a new issue come up, something I've not seen anywhere yet.

I began hearing a repeated pinging noise that varied with speed. As I parked others were listening and we all thought it might be something stuck in a brake backing plate, but I couldn't find anything and without a good jack on hand I couldn't get under the car to look closer. As I drove home, with the noise still ongoing, I noticed that the shifter looked lower than normal. So on a whim, I pulled up on the ball, and the noise stopped. If I let it go, or pushed down, it started again.

My diagnosis, something in the transmission shifter let go, but since I've never had any of that apart, I have no idea what. I drove it straight in to the dealer. I'm hoping it can get covered under "drivetrain" warranty.
Sorry to hear it bud. Are you going to take it back to the same people that did your gasket?

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Yeah, it's back with that dealer.

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
From this weekend's reading, I believe that the shifter mount bracket broke. Looking at it in videos from the various upgrade manufacturers it appears that it's a weak stamped steel bit with a flimsy rubber mount in it. I'm betting the steel bracket broke. The question is going to be how Ford is going to deal with it, and if they even have a spare in parts inventory...

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
I had to jump start the car tonight to come to work. It looks like my battery is getting weak after 3 years.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
You thinking about a lightweight battery? I like what I've read about the Antigravity batteries, except the price.

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
I don't think so. The price on those is prohibitive. I'll end up with a basic replacement.

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
You thinking about a lightweight battery? I like what I've read about the Antigravity batteries, except the price.
I just went for a Braille AGM battery. Gawd-damn it was expensive, but it's half the size and 1/4 the weight of the original. My boss kills 'em with his Camaro, something with the fan circuit slays the things. I'm hoping I get better results.

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
Two things happened today on my drive home from work

I hit 40k Miles

And that check engine light came on

So it looks like I might need that evap Purge Valve, and maybe an O2 sensor...

Reactions: Nater Potater

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #372 (Edited)
Ordered the Fuel Vapour hose, part # FR3Z-9G297-H which seems to have superseded the earlier part #.

Reactions: Nater Potater

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
Just dropped the track wheels off at Discount Tire for new rubber... Ugh, these things are pricey...

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
Here's the new look for this year's autocross...

My camber plates arrived Friday, so I'll head to the local shop on Monday for installation. - Maximum motorsports.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Wow, and I thought my car lacked subtlety!

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
Reactions: Sarge

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
January is the "maintenance/modification" portion of any autocrosser's season...

Camber plates are in.

Set front camber at -2.2 degrees with toe at 0.

I need to balance autocross corner carving with street driving...

361 - 380 of 405 Posts