Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
461 - 480 of 484 Posts

·
Administrator
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
Title came in the mail on 11/4/2021. The bank no longer owns any portion of my car!

·
Administrator
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
I took it in to my local independent shop for the 60,000 mile service, and of course went a little overboard. replaced all fluids, check everything...

They found a leak in my gas tank.

That crack in the blue connector cost me $1400 for a new tank plus labor...

·
Registered
844 Posts
So that blue piece is not removable at all or not available separately from the tank. Looks like it should come out and be replaceable with a new o ring to seal it to the tank. If it's not, then why is it blue when no one will ever see it.

Got to love Ford engineering.

BD

·
Administrator
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
Yeah, it's plastic welded to the tank itself and Ford doesn't offer any sort of piecemeal replacement for it. This makes me miss the days of steel tanks with welded on bungs for the return lines...

I think it's blue because "Ford"...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yeah, it's plastic welded to the tank itself and Ford doesn't offer any sort of piecemeal replacement for it. This makes me miss the days of steel tanks with welded on bungs for the return lines...

I think it's blue because "Ford"...
Ok that's why it looks like it should come out but plastic welded in. Yep, ford at it best. I miss the old steel tanks with lock rings and o rings also.

BD

·
Administrator
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
New issue...

Now the gas gauge will no longer register full. I added gas on friday, and it stopped before showing full. At the time I thought it was because I was forced to park on the wrong side and had to hold the nozzle upside down to fill. Tonight I stopped for gas again as it read half a tank and ended up overfilling and spilling gas all over the ground. I tried calling the shop, but they closed right before my gas stop, so I'll call them in the morning about looking at the sending unit.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Administrator
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #472 ·
Bummer, when it rains it pours.

BD
I'm hoping it's just that the sending unit isn't totally plugged in and a simple re-seat of the connector will rectify it. Won't know until they can look at it...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Does it read any level at all and change as fuel is used but just will not read full tank or is it stuck at one level reading all the time with no change at all.

If never any change, then could be plug not seated correctly, if reads some change but never full then could be float hanging up on something in tank or float arm being bent when reinstalling sending unit so it cannot go to full position.

Hope it just the plug not fully seated.

BD

·
Administrator
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
It does register some change as I drive it. I'm still hoping it's not a bent sending unit, but that's the likely cause.

Driving it for a week to actually empty the tank, again, before they drop it to investigate.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It does register some change as I drive it. I'm still hoping it's not a bent sending unit, but that's the likely cause.

Driving it for a week to actually empty the tank, again, before they drop it to investigate.
Yep, either bent or it's hanging up on something in the tank preventing it from going to full position.

BD

·
Administrator
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #476 ·
hope it's not hanging up on something, it's a new tank.

Reactions: Buldawg76

·
Registered
844 Posts
It's possible they did not clock the sending unit correctly in the tank so the float may not be allowed full travel. Is the fuel pump and sending unit one assy or two separate units?

I have never seen how the pump/level sender is designed in the mustangs to know if it's one assy or two separate units.

BD

·
Administrator
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 ·
It's two separate units, the pump is on one side and the sender on the other. now I wish I had taken a photo of the tank outside of the car.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Likely they did not get the fuel level sender unit clocked correctly when reinstalled and the float is hitting low spot in tank not allowing it to travel to full position. I always mark the units so I could reinstall in same clocking.

Work slow to go fast by not making mistakes that you have to redo for free.

BD

·
Registered
735 Posts
Why can't anything ever be easy?? Hang tough. I have no advice but you will get it.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser
461 - 480 of 484 Posts